Hey guys! Another Newbie :-(

Dustie1124

New elf
Hey everyone, I am only on my 3rd holiday doing lights. (Last Christmas, This Halloween and This Christmas)

Halloween 2020 Enter Sandman
Halloween 2020 - Disney
Halloween 2020 - The Monster
Christmas 2019- Sarajevo

As you can see, very newbie still. I am working with a 16 channel LOR Controller and 10 Cosmic Ribbons to date. I removed the ribbons from the roof for Christmas and made a tree which is working great. My question is I see lots of people switching to the Xlights software. Can someone tell me why?

I have it downloaded and tried using it but can not get it to work with my equipment so far. If anyone has advise, I would welcome it!

RobJ, you are really inspiring me this year, I tried to make your Charlie Brown sequence in LOR. I will post video tomorrow. It came out OK. I am trying to find a copy of that Star Wars HoHoHo one! That one looks fun to try to do. TomB has been an inspiration but I was kind of let down in the way he communicated in some emails. :-(. He is still an inspiration though.

Dustie1124

New elf
Welcome to ACL! Long time LOR user here until 2015. Forget everything you know, sell everything you own and follow the light.. to xLights! Thats what worked for me anyways

So XLights is different controllers and lights too? I thought it was just different software LOL. OK I will have to start looking at new things since I only have a small collection now anyway. I thought the things I have was supposed to work, but so far no luck.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
So XLights is different controllers and lights too? I thought it was just different software LOL. OK I will have to start looking at new things since I only have a small collection now anyway. I thought the things I have was supposed to work, but so far no luck.
I was being a little sarcastic. You should be able to use your existing equipment with xLights. I would advise you don't purchase any more LOR product if you're looking to get into pixels. Much cheaper ways to do things if you don't mind a little DIY. The good thing is you haven't been using LOR for very long. It was quite the learning curve going from LOR to xLights for me..

MikeA6453

New elf
I started the same with LOR and really liked it. Once I found about xlights and pixels I was hooked. I still run some of the LOR elements in some of the shows, but stopped buying LOR items. It is a bit of a learning curve, but there is lots of information on the forums. I would start with the 101 manual on this website. It will answer a lot of questions you will have in the beginning. Good luck with the transition.