Hey,

Peter.3

New elf
Hey, I'm Peter from around the Geelong region in Victoria.

I am looking at giving it a shot creating a light show for 2022 after a co-worker was showing me what he has started to create. I am on an acreage with the front yard about 20m deep and 50m wide, so keen to see how anyone has anyone has manged to make large areas look full without a huge amount of gear to start with.

Cheers

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Peter. There's a few people with larger frontage displays who may chime in, otherwise feel free to browse the Display Videos page to get some inspiration from others.

bpratt

Senior elf
I've got a 36m frontage on my place, and the first year I did pixels I started right down the front.

3 leaping arches and 3 candy canes filled most of it, but also had two of the large singing tree props as well as my 6m megatree.

i13

Dedicated elf
Welcome to the forum!

I have had a large frontage in the past and will again from 2022 onwards. I understand that this is not everyone's style but I like to fill large spaces with traditional LED strings. My approach is the opposite to bpratt's because most of my pixels are on the house or positioned far away from the viewers. I do it this way for a few reasons:
  • Pixels at 100% brightness are much brighter than traditional LED strings. If I placed pixels at the front, the traditional LED strings behind them might not show up as well. Reducing the brightness setting of the pixels might change this.
  • Pixels consume more power and require more power supplies quite nearby. It is practical to add more power supplies near the house.
  • The house is a well-defined shape. I find that it makes a great canvas for pixels because I can map the pixels onto the shape of the house. This is harder to do with trees, bushes, etc.
  • Traditional LED strings can cover large areas and have a long distance lead-in cable to the controller without the need for power injection.
You can view my 2016 display here: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/9545/