Hi all from Texas

smuir1201

New elf
Hey all. LOR newb from Texas. I've been playing with the software for a few years now and think this will be my first year to actually dive in with a display. Trying to decided between regular Christmas lights to start with or test the waters with this RGB stuff.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Welcome to ACL, we seem to be having an influx of LOR users at the moment and you are all welcome,

RGB is the future of our hobby and you will get all the help you need here to make it happen in your display.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Oh and make sure you read the ACL 101 http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html

Most of the answers to your first questions will be in it.

smuir1201

New elf
So I have been reading for about the last 7 hours and I think I'm more confused now then when I started. I want RGB, love the idea of inteligent but I am so confused on channels. I now see 1 RGB strand is considered 3 channels. So that means 1 LOR 16ch means you only get 5 strands and 1 left over? How in the world are people having 5,000+ channels without spending a small fortune. Am I missing something?

More research is required on my part it seems.......

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL, I am sure all the LoR gurus will be able to point you in the right direction in no time. The only issue you will find the more you read the more you will want :)

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Welcome to ACL

Feel free to ask questions anytime. This is a great place to learn.
Like you I am also a LOR user. Nice seeing you in Chat tonight

-Blu

i13

Dedicated elf
Answering your question about RGB channels

You are right that a dumb RGB light set is three channels. A dumb strip is switched by the controller turning power to it on/off/dimmed. The whole strip can only be one colour at any time.

The reason so many ACL members have a lot more channels is that they use smart/intelligent strings/strips which are controlled with data instead of power and use a different type of controller. Smart light sets are divided into pixels which are controlled individually. Generally a pixel is 1 RGB LED except in 12V RGB strips (not strings) where it is 3 LEDs. A pixel is usually 3 channels so every RGB light can be 3 channels, adding to the channel count and allowing finer control over the display's lights.

For example if a 5V LED strip has 30 LEDs (and therefore 30 pixels) per metre, that is 90 channels every metre (3.3 feet).

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome57.gif

mborg10

Michael Borg
Welcome to ACL. as to RGB or classic christmas lights hmmmmm RGB wins.
If you already have some lights or motifs, keep the frames and replace the old lights with new RGB.
Anyway the C.L.A.P. has you now, why fight it.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

As far a lighting. You are thinking about an LOR 16 channel controller. In the USA, these controllers are only used for standard 120V light strings. RGB uses DC controllers, completely different thing. Example, an LOR CCR comes with its own power supply and controller. One CCR is 5 meters (16 feet) in length, has 50 controllable sections (3 LED's each) of lights, each section is 3 channels (red, blue, green), 150 channels total.
Personally I started out with 1 - 16 channel controller, used it to learn the software & sequencing. You would be amazed what you can do with one 16 channel controller.
Next I got 2 CCR's and learned those.
This year I now have (and hope to use) 2 - 16 channel controllers and 6 CCR's.