Hi all I'm Ryan

Techie09

New elf
I live in the United States and as a Software developer I have interest in how the Christmas lights work. I'm currently working on developing a small setup.

Backstory:
I've been living in apartments for about 5 years now and they usually hold a best decorated contest around the holidays. (Halloween and Christmas). Its usually something like a $25(USD) gift card.

One year I bought a fiber optic Christmas tree about 1.5 feet tall. I placed it outside on our table with a tablecloth and some boxes wrapped up as presents. my sister-in-law used red and white rope lighting to make "candy cane" rails. We had a few other decorations, but we didn't win best decorated. That was when I had the idea to try to do a light show, but on a doll house.

Project:
Fast forward a few years to now. I am learning a lot already and have a stronger appreciation for the custom audio and sequencing tracks that people develop. I want to try to have some lights setup by Halloween, but not likely. my main goal is to build a 1:12 scale dollhouse and furnish it with Ws2812b LEDs for Christmas. I'm going to try to have 3 songs I've sequenced by then. If it turns out well, I will share my results.

Sounds like a nice project. :)

Welcome to AusChristmasLighting, ask away with any questions you have.

My first thought for a small number of pixels is an ESP82/ESP32 running WLED or a Raspberry Pi.
Cheap pixel controller, flash WLED to it and have a computer run the sequence. Otherwise a Raspberry Pi can run pixels directly and play the sequence (with audio).

Key software constantly mentioned:
  • WLED - Running on an ESP based board. This can run basic programs on it's own or take live data input.
  • FPP (Falcon Pi Player) to run on a Raspberry Pi or BeagbleBone single board computer. This is very powerful for all sorts of things (incl custom scripts).
  • xLights - Go to software to create a sequence to music and xScheduler to run from a computer.

I have to warn, it is getting late in the year. Pixels are selling out fast and China suppliers are slowing down with orders. Get in quick.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have been researching and the ESP/NodeMCU stuff seems enough, but I decided to go with the Falcon PiCap. I have already been playing with XLights and started sequencing a song.

I have to warn, it is getting late in the year. Pixels are selling out fast and China suppliers are slowing down with orders. Get in quick.
I noticed this. I have a 1m strand of IP67 rated, 100 ws2812b lCUs. after some research I found IP 65 is generally easier to work with. I was trying to buy the BTF-Lighting on Amazon, but they are sold out. their website seems to have them in stock and I will be ordering some soon.

A quick question. You said a 1:12th scale dollhouse. What size doll is taken as being the standard?
I'd actually like to see the dollhouse lit up. It sounds like a cool concept.

A quick question. You said a 1:12th scale dollhouse. What size doll is taken as being the standard?
I'd actually like to see the dollhouse lit up. It sounds like a cool concept.
The drawings I'm using are not using metric, and are 1 inch for every 12 inches. Its a two story victorian house with a roof and the height is a little less than 1 meter. Here is a picture I took from the drawings and used in xlights to start sequencing.

Attachments

• 2021-09-20 09_10_59-dollhouse.png
    2021-09-20 09_10_59-dollhouse.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Hello and welcome. This is my first year and I am learning about lights also. I love your idea of a dollhouse and think that Victorian model is awesome. I look forward to seeing how everything turns out.

That doll house looks awesome!!! Enjoy the hobby, but beware ... it can become a bottomless pit o_O.
Anyway .. ask questions - the people here have a lot of knowledge. It's my 2nd year and I'm still learning. Being a Software Developer is a plus, programing is a necessary part of this hobby. Have fun!

Back