Hi all NEW at all this , Please don’t laugh: have been setting up Xmas display for two years , loving it now going the next step , (I think ) and jus

Bert K

New elf
Hi all NEW at all this , Please don’t laugh: have been setting up Xmas display for two years , loving it now going the next step , (I think ) and just purchased 3 x Light ORam boxes (16 outlets each) leads, a computer can’t get into yet, A CZE-05B ? . So climbing a big mountain. Locked down at the moment VICTORIA Croydon ,but will get Into computer and go from there. Going to need a lot of help . So suggestions of a person/s to help point me in correct direction will be extremely well received.cheers and thanks (Bert )

Welcome, Bert. Not a lot of LOR users on the forum these days. drop into chat as we are always willing to help. what software program are you looking to use???

Hello @Bert K and Welcome to ACL!

As per my new member message:
Read up on the ACL 101 manual. https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/auschristmaslighting-101-manual.1889/.

- As I saw a comment on a newbie's Facebook post:
"Hope your single, rich, and have a full liquor cabinet."

Read up, study, study, plan and repeat. Make sure you know what you're wanting before you spend money!
I would diffidently look around before buying kits, much cheaper and more suited when custom made. And it's part of the fun making your own!

-----------------------------------------
Okay.... first one in going to LOR [Light O Rama]. Haven't had many AC light ones starting for a while, most here have switched (or switching) to addressable RGB pixels.
Non-the-less; It's nice you've joined here to ACL. Good thing too that xLights supports LOR controllers, that saves paying for their own sequencer and xLights is free.
a computer can’t get into yet, A CZE-05B ?
Usually FM transmitters don't have an option for PC control? I thought it was just an analogue audio or USB sound card in?

Anyway;
Enjoy the community.

Welcome to ACL and welcome to the madness.
You will need a usb dongle to control your LOR boxes from your pc. There's either the proper LOR dongle which converts from USB to RS485 with the signals brought out to the correct pins or else you can use a generic usb-rs485/usb-dmx dongle and make or use a LOR-DMX crossover. If you haven't got a dongle then I have dmx ones and also crossovers on my site.
Hopefully you haven't splurged on buying lightorama S5 for controlling your boards. You can do it with Xlights which is free and has a much bigger userbase and much better support here on ACL.

Welcome Bert. The first step is always the hardest, but once you get into it, it will become almost second nature. As said before ask questions as the only dumb question, is the one you didn't ask.

I just bought a CZE-05B myself, nice simple unit that seems to work well.
I bought one of these the second year in as my first cheap one didn't last. This one has been great but the only problem I had was interference because of the little antennae that kept coming loose. I tried to find a new connector to make an external dipole but it was near impossible as they use a tnc-n.
What I ended up doing was hard wiring the transmitter in a box with a di pole on the outside wall.
This gives much better range and no drifting or interference at a lower output power.

Welcome to ACL and welcome to the madness.
You will need a usb dongle to control your LOR boxes from your pc. There's either the proper LOR dongle which converts from USB to RS485 with the signals brought out to the correct pins or else you can use a generic usb-rs485/usb-dmx dongle and make or use a LOR-DMX crossover. If you haven't got a dongle then I have dmx ones and also crossovers on my site.
Hopefully you haven't splurged on buying lightorama S5 for controlling your boards. You can do it with Xlights which is free and has a much bigger userbase and much better support here on ACL.
Thanks for the heads up have just had a lol at x lights . Now reading the 101 lighting Manual . G... what have I started all double Dutch at the moment cheers

Back