Hi everyone, can I use two 720W 12V power supply to power F16V3 controller and at the same time using it as a power injection?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Remember to properly fuse the (as shown in your graphic) the 20 Meter power injection runs from the supply to the last string. Strings from/through the controller will be protected by the controller fuses, those not through the controller will need to have fuses added.

Also remember that the pixel string wires will not handle much over 5 Amp (if 18 AWG). In other words, one cannot run say 14 AWG for the 20 Meter to keep voltage drop minimized and fuse it at 15 Amp and then expect the string wire to not burn if something goes wrong.

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
Remember to properly fuse the (as shown in your graphic) the 20 Meter power injection runs from the supply to the last string. Strings from/through the controller will be protected by the controller fuses, those not through the controller will need to have fuses added.

Also remember that the pixel string wires will not handle much over 5 Amp (if 18 AWG). In other words, one cannot run say 14 AWG for the 20 Meter to keep voltage drop minimized and fuse it at 15 Amp and then expect the string wire to not burn if something goes wrong.
thanks for the reply, my concerns were that the max power supply to V1 and V2 shouldn't be more than 350W.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Falcon F16V3 documentation indicates the V1 and V2 power connectors are rated at 32 Amp maximum each; 64 total for the board. Aside from the 16 outputs fused at 5 Amp (40 Amp for V1, 40 Amp for V2 with 32 Amp connectors; hmmm... :unsure: ), the board doesn't care what the power supply rating is unless the supply overloads and causes the board logic to crash/reset. The situation is more of a does one want the supply to do more than only power the controller.

I typically think in amperage, not power. The reason is I keep having to make mental calculations for answers. Here for example, to max out either V1 or V2 on 12 Volt takes at least a 384 Watt supply (32 * 12) but on 5 Volt only a 160 Watt supply (32 * 5). Knowing a supply's amperage capacity, connector ratings, and fuse sizes, voltage can be factored out of the equation.

A question; what are your plans to protect the controller, controller V1/V2 connectors, and V1/V2 to supply wiring from the supply's give or take a bit 60 Amp capacity if something in or near the controller tries to consume the 60 Amp?

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
Thanks Terry, I think I have to install an inline 30 Amp fuse to each V1 &V2 connection to protect the controller.

Last edited: