Hi everyone.

Phillhutcho

New elf
20191204_202936.jpg
My name is Phil i am based in Lake Macquarie nsw. I have attached a photo from last year. These lights are all just standard bunnings style lights. I am hoping to start with pixels and over the next few years change it all over and have a show with music, I am looking to start with a matrix panel on the roof above the garage this year. Would anyone be able to give me a list of what I would need to start with?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

bpratt

Senior elf
Welcome aboard Phil !

Ummm... I'm not sure I'd be doing a matrix as your first effort with pixels myself. I think I'd be trying to do a section of your display as pixels, then work up from there.

Taking in to account it is getting towards the end of September, you really don't have a huge amount of time to get things started and working for your first year at it.

However re-reading your post, you're not planning on having a show with music this year, so you should be able to start with a small part of it in pixels.

You will need some form of controller to control your pixels, such as a Falcon controller (available through DarrylC if he's got any in stock), or a Kulp controller. There's also the advatek controllers too.

Phillhutcho

New elf
Welcome aboard Phil !

Ummm... I'm not sure I'd be doing a matrix as your first effort with pixels myself. I think I'd be trying to do a section of your display as pixels, then work up from there.

Taking in to account it is getting towards the end of September, you really don't have a huge amount of time to get things started and working for your first year at it.

However re-reading your post, you're not planning on having a show with music this year, so you should be able to start with a small part of it in pixels.

You will need some form of controller to control your pixels, such as a Falcon controller (available through DarrylC if he's got any in stock), or a Kulp controller. There's also the advatek controllers too.
Thanks for the advice. Mainly considering matrix as the main spot that needs something is the roof. Just trying to work out what to put up there...

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL Phil. I have a couple of pixel controllers I make and I also have boards that will allow computer control of a number of different types of Bunnings lights.
Assuming that you're talking about a pixel matrix rather than a P10 matrix then you'll need
-pixel controller
-Raspberry Pi for running your show if you want to free up your PC
-pixel nodes
-5V or 12V power supply (please don't use 12V)
-fuse board or fuses for power injecting
-pigtails for ease of connecting
-pixel tester (not really needed but very handy for testing new props)
-some method of constructing the matrix. Have a look to see what @Troy ELD at Extreme Lighting Displays has in the way of matrix construction coro or ABS.
If you're talking P10 or P5 matrix then
-Raspberry Pi and something like my rPi-P10
or
-Raspberry Pi and Colorlight board
or
-Beaglebone Black and Octoscrolla
-5V power supply
-P10 or P5 panels
-fusing for panels
-IDC16 cable
-IDC16 connectors

Have a read of the ACL101 if you haven't already and if you're after more advice then there's always people in ACL chat.

marmalade

cats & pixels
There's a few of us local to you who would be happy to show you the tech stuff, we all do things a little differently depending on our layout.

A bit closer to chrissy feel free to drop me a pm on our FB lights page for a walkthough!