Hi from Adelaide , South Australia here

OriginalDoc

New elf
Howdy , just joined , getting my light collection together and just ordered me a 16 channel 240v starter pack from light o rama , so just having a read of things for the moment.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi there!

Another Adelaidean I see. Yeah, the LOR AC Starter pack isn't always the best option. If its the one I think it is, the Professional (Commercial) series with a heavy metal enclosure shipping will cost dearly.

There are a number of controlling options available, although I won't hide the fact that the LOR AC options tend to be easiest at getting running 'at first'.

There are a few displays around Adelaide, have you seen any of them? There's one in Wynn Vale effectively just around the corner from you that is using a combination of LOR and 3rd-party low-voltage controllers. There's another two displays in Salisbury East, both LOR (I'm one of them). I'm using some 240v LOR but for the most part I'm also low-voltage. Its safer, and actually more appropriate when using off the shelf LED lights.

All is not lost, though, as the LOR AC range can be used later combined with 3rd-party DMX boards or even the LOR DC cards.

If you want the addresses of the PC displays near you just shoot me a PM. Some of us are running until the 30th or 31st :)

OriginalDoc

New elf
So what is the recommended gear to set up. I dont have that many lights yet of the top of my head i guess i have

20 sets of 2011 big w connectable lights
4 x rope lights 240v each
6 x rope light stars 240v each
3 x 40 led stakes
2 x waterfall lights (dick smith)
4 x icicle lights (falling effect) big w
1 x led reindeer
6 x net lights

So its not huge but you have to start somewhere.

So dont get the LOR starter you say?

OriginalDoc

New elf
Hi Ryan i have seen your display the last few years but have not been past this year maybe i should check it out.
ryanschristmaslights said:
If its the one I think it is, the Professional (Commercial) series with a heavy metal enclosure shipping will cost dearly.

Im sure the one i got was the plastic home type not the heavy commercial one.

Maybe less on shipping.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
If getting the LOR 240v gear at all (which it seems like you may need after all, as its the only real 240v option), I'd go for a Ready-to-go CTB16PC package (make sure to select Australian cordsets), plus generic starter. This comes with a plastic enclosure. OR if you know how to solder and a bit about electronics (this is 240v so be very careful, it can kill you!), you could go with an Assembled CTB16PC package only and supply your own enclosure plus cables. Add the generic starter too, it comes with a usb dongle and software.

But no, there are much better options for controlling low-voltage LED lights (they come with a plugpack adapter) which are safer, probably cheaper, and there are even some local (as in Australian made) products available.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
If thats all you want to run then the LOR may suit fine BUT, BUT BUT now you've found this site and will find over the next 6-8 months the other possibilites and options that you may want to include I would suggest nothing at this stage wait and see what you want to do then you can work out the hardware.

AS I said in the original post layout your house on one of the pieces of software and set up a test sequence. I used AVD 48 boards - 48channels for about $200 and they are from Qld and you will need a transformer or 2 if you are to run DC they range from $20 from China (which I use) or the real Meanwell ones which are in the $100 area

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Doc, Welcome to ACL. altough I've moved away from 240v LOR they are still handy to have one for your rope lights and other 240v items. Have a read and ask questions in chat, your big W lights can be controlled by DC controllers, either LOR ones or Other DMX controllers.

Have Fun.

OriginalDoc

New elf
well i guess i can start with the LOR one i have already ordered and see how it goes for the first year , then add a DC controller the year after. And have the best of both worlds.

Can i also use the big w lights on the 240v controller ? with say the adaptor and a power board?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI Doc & welcome!

I'm also starting out in controlled lighting, but my advise would be to hold off any any purchases yet until you've had a good read and chat with the guys on the site and in the chat room, there is a heap of different options to consider, which is what I'm currently doing until I decide what way I want to go.

Good luck with it all!

Graham

Karob

Let there be Light!
Hi Doc

Welcome to ACL, great to see another Adelaide member to the site and another LOR user, I am in Mawson Lakes and have just completed my 2nd year of animated lights using LOR, next year I will be adding other options but had to go to the LOR option due to the type of lights owned for static displays over the year.
over the year you should pop into chat and see all the other options you have available, not just in contollers but in options of how to set up your display.

Bird

LOR user
17.gif

to ACL Doc

I am finishing my 2nd season with LOR. For a start up system, I feel it is very easy to work with.
However, when you want to expand into large matrix boards and some other things LOR is to expensive when considering other options. But LOR and DC seem to mix nicely in most cases. DIY can mix with LOR but it may take some additional configurations which you may end up comfortable with after some time in here learning.
No matter what your decision, as you can see, there are people in all areas of lighting that will be glad to offer you some guidance.

OriginalDoc

New elf
Thanks for all your kind welcome messages. I think i will still go ahead with the purchase of the 240v box , As i do have a few 240v gear to hook up. But by the end of the year chatting with people i may also look into getting into DC voltage , seeing almost everyone is telling me to do so.

I have a question with the DC stuff it is more DIY i take it? what does a typical DC set up cost you , and i take it is less power hungry (better on your power bills) and safer to work with than 240 volts.