Hi from Minnesota

vman916

New elf
Hi all,

Greetings from the cold white north (especially right now). I am in my 2nd year of doing a light display. I decided to go the professional purchase route initially because I knew as a single father of a toddler (1 yo at the time I made the leap), I only had so much time in the day...but I was also bound and determined to make my neighborhood cool again for Halloween and Christmas.

Started last year with a simple singing pumpkin sitting in the yard and RGB Pixels covering my roof line. It took a lot of time to just get all the channeling up (for the pixels), figure out how to set everything up etc. The vendor provided a circular show using about 10 songs. For Christmas it moved to a singing reindeer and I added a few LED items (their singing faces dummy controllers can also just turn on/off other LED elements, which can add some additional fun).

This year I expanded to RGB across my garages, two faces for each holiday, a stage for the faces to perform on, and some additional LED pieces for Christmas. I also had a more custom show created for Christmas. This year I built a lot of things myself in the prop department, but bit off way more than I should of...so I am happy I am done :)

So why am I hear? Well I really want to take things to the next level, but after spending a lot of $$ with the vendor, the customer service, etc. have left me wanting. I have a lot of bold plans, but feel its probably time I start thinking about taking things over myself. Hence I have started to teach myself and go down the path of figuring out what I would need to do to extend what I have and customize to be my own.

Not really sure which forum to start posting questions and discussions? After looking through a lot of other sites and reading the great 101 document, I have a much better understanding of what I have. I own a web consulting company, so this stuff does not intimidate me, except maybe some of the electrical pieces.

Below is my setup. If you have any thoughts on which channel I should start on, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jolt Lighting Lumiblox DMX controller - 1 ethernet channel connects to my two dummy controllers (they are currently buried in snow in their cases, so can't look at any brand, but think they are custom builds), 1 ethernet channel connects to the Pixel Driver
4 output RGB Pixel Driver - This is branded with the company logo, so I think its a custom build. I am currently using 3 out of the 4 outputs
Mean Well LRS-350-12 Power Supply
Digital FM Transmitter
for the Music

The show is run from a SD card and contains DMX, ALM and MP3 files. I understand what a DMX file is, def know what an MP3 file is, but not sure what an ALM is. Does anyone know if there is one of the sequencing software packages I might be able to open these with? Or maybe I am missing something (probably)

Anyway thanks for reading through this really long intro. Hope it lets you know a bit about what I am trying to do. Any guidance would be greatly helpful. Where I am not totally opposed to having to start over (with sequencing and control), since I have already invested heavily, I am hoping I can somehow reuse the stuff that has already been done and just add on to that.

Thanks!
Virgil

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Virgil
Welcome to ACL. No idea what creates or uses the ALM format. Some details on the actual board may help us give you some advice. It sounds like the board is probably from Jolt Lighting and there is every possibility that it's actually a re-branded Lightorama board. Photos of the board/s may be helpful. There doesn't seem to be much about them on the web.
It's possible that what you've got is a LOR Pixie4 and a LOR Director

vman916

New elf
Thanks AAH I appreciate the thoughts. Here is some pics of the setup. Let me know if it sparks anything. I am also going to give Jolt a call today to try and get an owners manual.IMG_1413.jpgIMG_1411.jpg

vman916

New elf
Hi Virgil
Welcome to ACL. No idea what creates or uses the ALM format. Some details on the actual board may help us give you some advice. It sounds like the board is probably from Jolt Lighting and there is every possibility that it's actually a re-branded Lightorama board. Photos of the board/s may be helpful. There doesn't seem to be much about them on the web.
It's possible that what you've got is a LOR Pixie4 and a LOR Director
Hi AAH, I contacted Jolt and it ends up this was a custom built controller that is no longer made. The company I was using bought out the stock and controls it. So I am thinking everything else on my setup is pretty standard, so I am hoping to just move to a different DMX controller and be able to work with xLights to put together new things.

I am going to post to a different board around what DMX controller people would recommend moving forward with