Hi from the States

anthonycastelli

New elf
Hi! I'm Anthony. I'm currently residing in the USA. I'll be moving to Australia within the next year. I'm looking to do Light-O-Rama when I get there. I'm not a fan on the cosmic colour ribbons and such, I still like the old style C9, C7, Icicles, Rope Lights and mini lights. I've been learning about Light-O-Rama and how it works in Australia, pretty similar to how it works here in the US. ANyways, I have a few quick questions for you all, if you don't mind. I plan on recreating this scene with C9, C7, Icicles, Rope Lights and mini lights. Is there a place where I could order them in bulk? Its no biggie if they are LED version of those types of bulbs. Are there any type of special things I need to do in order to get those lights working?

Screen%20Shot%202012-12-05%20at%208.26.01%20AM.png

Thank you so much. I can't wait to do all of this.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Anthony

You will have a large support group once you get to the southern side of the world. :)
You'll need to get use to is very hot Christmas days.
If you are sure you want to go with LOR, you may want to check if it might be cheaper to order Aus version controllers without AC cables while here and then ship them with your household items as shipping to down south sounds expensive.
If using LOR controllers you'll also want LOR S3 software (IMO).
As to lights, might be best to wait until the early months of 2013 as there are usually good deals in the off season.

Now for a personal note: we use 120 volt up here with a few items at 240 volt. Down south they use 240 volt on everything. So for safety reasons you may want to use low voltage lighting and skip AC controllers totally.

anthonycastelli

New elf
Thanks for all the welcome posts everyone!:)

Bird said:
Welcome.gif

to ACL Anthony

You will have a large support group once you get to the southern side of the world. :)
You'll need to get use to is very hot Christmas days.
If you are sure you want to go with LOR, you may want to check if it might be cheaper to order Aus version controllers without AC cables while here and then ship them with your household items as shipping to down south sounds expensive.
If using LOR controllers you'll also want LOR S3 software (IMO).
As to lights, might be best to wait until the early months of 2013 as there are usually good deals in the off season.

Now for a personal note: we use 120 volt up here with a few items at 240 volt. Down south they use 240 volt on everything. So for safety reasons you may want to use low voltage lighting and skip AC controllers totally.

I was actually just in Australia last Christmas and loved it!, I'll miss the white christmas that we have here but, I enjoyed going to the beach and enjoying the summer/christmas break. I planned on buying the controllers fir for the 240v before I leave for Australia to save on shipping. A few of my friends have done LOR and I've had time to play with the software and see how it all functions. As for low voltage lights, you're talking about the DC version of the controllers, right? I'm not worried about the price of the controllers, but do you have an idea of what low voltage lights cost vs. the regular? As for AC vs. DC lights, is there a difference, beside power consumption and maybe the price?

Bird

LOR user
anthonycastelli said:
As for low voltage lights, you're talking about the DC version of the controllers, right?
I'm not worried about the price of the controllers, but do you have an idea of what low voltage lights cost vs. the regular?
As for AC vs. DC lights, is there a difference, beside power consumption and maybe the price?
Yes
No, I do not use DC and therfore no good answer.
Warm weather means some people have foot traffic through their displays. So low voltage safety is a large concern,

anthonycastelli

New elf
Bird said:
anthonycastelli said:
As for low voltage lights, you're talking about the DC version of the controllers, right?
I'm not worried about the price of the controllers, but do you have an idea of what low voltage lights cost vs. the regular?
As for AC vs. DC lights, is there a difference, beside power consumption and maybe the price?
Yes
No, I do not use DC and therfore no good answer.
Warm weather means some people have foot traffic through their displays. So low voltage safety is a large concern,

I see. Thanks for your input. If I have any other questions, I'll be sure to post them on this forum.

Thanks so much.