Hi from the UK I'm DiddyDave

DiddyDaveUK

New elf
I'm in the UK and I just started doing the Xlights Displays last year and started with the Halloween display as a test and to see what the feedback would be with people where I live and around the area.

It was amazing so I quickly put a Christmas Display together with just a few LED WS2812B strips on roof lines and so on and it looked ok BUT can always be better.

I had help from some amazing guys in the Zoom Room just a few days before December and managed to get some thing great put together.

This year I hope to be even bigger and better and every year after continue to get better.

At the moment I'm just using DIY controllers ( NODEMCU Chip with WLED Code) with E1.31. This does batter the WiFi when the display gets busy. My next step will be to get a Falcon Controller.

DiddyDaveUK

New elf
1588005806780.png
Above is my DIY E1.31 controller. This was version v2 I'm now on v3. The other pics, one is my Matrix Controller the other is my Candy Caine's which I built 6 out of plumbing pipe and red electrical tape...!

1588006029669.png

Above is my house and what I started with. This was Halloween test. I hope this year will be bigger and better. I already have the LED's for my Mega Tree, some stuff for the front garden to go with my 6 Candy Cains and the LED's for the Window frames.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_15.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_15.jpeg
    656.5 KB · Views: 18
  • fullsizeoutput_16.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_16.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL!
Impressive start already. I had far less lights for my first year.

Glad to see your going with a nice controller soon. The DIY route is fine but there comes a time when it needs to expand. A bigger controller is always a classic excuse for more lights!

Enjoy the rabbit hole of a never needing money pit, whoops.... did I say that out loud? :D

Dreamin

Full time elf
Great stuff mate. Great to see someone in the UK lighting up. Growing up in the uk, and I never saw lights anywhere unless it was in the house on the tree! My family and mates back home think I'm nuts! :laugh: Certainly would brighten up those dark nights you get during winter.

Great job with the candy canes. I have a Falcon F16v3 and it's great, you won't regret it, but as Mark says you might then be tempted to fill a few more ports up! :laugh:

DiddyDaveUK

New elf
Yes, It is not that common in the UK yet. There is a guy across the road that always lit his house up every Christmas but with the off the shelf stuff. It does look good and very bright.

It took me a number of years before I thought about giving it a try. My other half has always said she wanted outside lights at Christmas but I never did it.

Then I found addressable LED's then I found what can be done, then I found Xlights, then I found a new hobby that is getting out of hand...!!!! :)

I have all year round lights inside aluminium channels. These are in the upper roof line, garage roof line, around the garage door and the drainpipe.

At the moment I'm doing the NHS Light a bulb in the NHS Blue and the drainpipe is doing the rainbow effect every night for a few hours.

I'm currently working on my next Halloween/Christmas displays.

I am aware of the UK reseller BUT he is out of stock due to the COVID-19 issue.

£198 for the F16 is a lot of money for a controller.....! while i'm still growing my LED's. I may stick with my collection of NODMCU controllers for this year while I build my props up then next year look at buying a Falcon.

I do have a question though about Relays. I have the Arduino Sketch from Keith at Xlights and I have 2x 8 channel 5v Relays. I wanted to use these last year but could not get my head around the config of the sketch and how this connects with Xlights via the E1.31.

I think a video would be good as I find I get things better with a video than text. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. I would like to use these relays this year for things like spots and single colour led's then connect them to my xlights sequence.

It would be great to keep in touch with the guys in the UK to share ideas and deals on hardware when they arrive.

Oh yes also, I would like to use LED screens in my display has anyone done that yet as these would cost less than matrix boards and will be better resolution.

Many Thanks
Dave

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
£198 for the F16 is a lot of money for a controller....
Probably cheaper buying from pixelcontroller.com directly than through a reseller. Just make your timing right with the exchange rate.
Same goes for pixels. Although they might come in handy when you're in a rush.

Once you got a Falcon it's sad not to connect more lights to it :).
The Falcon magically extends you budget :).

I do have a question though about Relays. I have the Arduino Sketch from Keith at Xlights and I have 2x 8 channel 5v Relays. I wanted to use these last year but could not get my head around the config of the sketch and how this connects with Xlights via the E1.31.
I keep seeing this pop up. I've never got around to it myself, but I remember a comment by Keith that there is a global.h variable to redefine for relays. Don't quote me, that's what I think I can remember.

DiddyDaveUK

New elf
Probably cheaper buying from pixelcontroller.com directly than through a reseller. Just make your timing right with the exchange rate.
Same goes for pixels. Although they might come in handy when you're in a rush.

Once you got a Falcon it's sad not to connect more lights to it :).
The Falcon magically extends you budget :).

I keep seeing this pop up. I've never got around to it myself, but I remember a comment by Keith that there is a global.h variable to redefine for relays. Don't quote me, that's what I think I can remember.
Yes, that's correct he did and that is the file to edit in this case. I just think if someone had the timed to go through this setup on a video it would then sink in and I could fully understand how it all connects to Xlights once the correct config is in place for the relay.

I have all the hardware. The Arduino Mega with the Eithernet module then one Keith recommended. I have the Sketch and I'm ready to go. Maybe a helping hand is required so that I fully understand. Maybe a zoom meeting and then I share my screen with someone who knows and maybe record it too for others to use...

Many Thanks
Dave