Hi from Western Sydney.

Striker

New elf
Hey everyone,

First year decorating, and I tried to get it all together, but unfortunately all we have running this year are some solar powered stuff, and a big long string of flashies in a powerpoint.

Using some internet-found instructions, I built a DMX wreath from bits I purchased from Holidaycoro, and while it seems nice, they don't sell a 240v power supply, like their stick-looking 110v supply. Shame, I would have liked to hang this one on the front door.

I've also got (from Holidaycoro) some pixel icicle lights, 5 meters worth. Unfortunately I'm an idiot, and it's nowhere near long enough for the front of the house. The controller can only run the four strings that make up the five meter total, so that looks like it was a waste of money.

With any luck I can get something together for next year. I'm pretty disappointed that nothing came together this year.

On a recent trip to bunnings, I bought something like their tomato cages, only these were labelled 'Obelisks', and join at the top already, and have a spiral that runs down them. Perfect for mini trees for next year.

--Striker.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Welcome to ACL. and don't be disheartened. I started my first year around December the year before and still didn't get everything done!
Some people are a little better and manage to get it all done in no time. It is all about learning and having fun.
Keep on going and if you have any questions, just ask.... there is no such thing as a dumb question here!

JPB

Full time elf
We all started somewhere and it was the dissatisfaction with a single string of blinkies and then multiple strings blinking out of sync that put me on the slippery slope.
The trick is to plan and build early and do it in smallish steps with your lights ready early November, then you just need to install them and relax.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Striker

New elf
cjd said:
I think I'm using the same tomato cages

You certainly are. I picked up a whole bunch of them, and now have a year to get them sorted out.
Are those pixel strips on them? Do you have any night-time photos or video of them working?

--Striker.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, im sure you will have a better shot at it next year and with the help and advice from the members here then you shouldn't have to waste any money

Striker

New elf
Fasteddy said:
Welcome to ACL, im sure you will have a better shot at it next year and with the help and advice from the members here then you shouldn't have to waste any money

I went round to RAMJET's place on christmas night, we had a long talk about his setup, my plans, etc. He gave me a power supply that I can use for testing my DMX wreath, and has offered to sell me some RGB stuff that he's not planning on using anymore.
It should help me out quite a bit with getting lights up for next year.

--Striker.

Striker

New elf
A year already, where has the time gone?

Two of the obelisks that I bought from Bunnings are now covered with pixel strip from Boscoyo, and I'm waiting for my order of pixels to arrive, so that I can start populating the empty holes. Hopefully by December the 1st, I'll have four minitrees done, with 496 pixels each.

--Striker.