Hi, IM Michael From Adelaide

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
HI all,

new from down under.
Followed the internet trail here from YouTube land when researching the P12R. I think its exactly what im looking for to control my new DMX network I want to setup this year.

Light-o-Rama with DMX
Looking to make 24 custom RGB smart ribbons. got the idea from zstoltenberg YouTube channel. (http://www.youtube.com/user/zstoltenberg?feature=watch)

Any advice is welcome, I have never had an automated setup before but I have spent the last few days watching hours of DIY and tutorials for light o rama and light options.
I have also put about 20 hours into learning the light-o-rama software suit
smiley.gif

I have put together a short shopping list, leaning towards 2811, when I first discovered id need a USB port for every 'universe' I was almost worried but then I found the e1.31 video on an American stie and from there hours later ended up here :)

Probably spent about 17 hours on YouTube the last two days at work, good thing I'm the boss or I would be in lots of trouble :)

My background is IT, I own a Small ISP here in Adelaide, providing wireless (Wimax/WDSL) and adsl services, so I know my way around a network. I'm in the middle of building a new house at the moment and will be running permanent underground cables for all my lights, so wanted to get in early before the season so I can get the planning down so when it comes to the build it will be a breez.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
WELCOME aboard.

There are quite a few of us RAdelaidians, including some out your way. jb09 for example.

Feel free, ifyou have key questions, log into chat and there are always many people in there willing to help. Heck if you just want to chew the fat, come on in also.

Probably the best advice anyone can give you at the moment, is... which direction do you hope to move in the future.

If you are looking to have even more smart strips or strings, (pixels) then you may want to look at what software you want to control it. LOR will work fine for lower channel counts, however at present the larger channel counts are more successfully being run on other software.

As for e1.31, yep, 1 output, can control a plethora of universes. Set it up through a multi output switch and you can get realistically 12 universes per output. Definately the way i have gone. You can also now, utilising the p12s (not listed on the J1sys.com website yet) control 2 additional DMX universes from off the controller.

There are also quite a few vendors within the forums that design and sell their own boards that will bring the channel count price right down compared to LOR hardware.

A Great place to start is the Lighting guide created by FastEddy. http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html

Again, welcome aboard.

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day Michael, Welcome to ACL. You will find everybody unbelievably helpful and friendly. There is a mountain of knowledge available whichever way you decide to go.