Hi there!

Jb595

New elf
Hi all,

Everyone must be starting to get busy now, thought id ask some questions for designing a display for next year.

Im new to all christmas light animations, currently I have a heap of led strings of various colours and lengths and some 240v ropelight....I know not the best stuff to use.

I was interested to know what you guys think in regards to running this gear and purchasing some RGB pixel strings. My idea was running DMX as I know that best via Vixen or LSP. a couple 12v and 240v relay boards like the tigerDMX or a Renard SS24's (i think DMX will work).

Im also after input on running pixel strings, a controller via dmx and buying rgb strings. is there a 100m roll or something?.

As you can tell im new to all of this so I want to start planning early so I can DIY PCB's and anything else needed.

Jake

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. If you havent already read it then download the ACL 101 Lighting manual as it is a great starting point for learning some of the options.
But you are correct we are all very busy with final prep so really not the best time to be asking general questions for next years setup as the reponses will be short in many cases as guys have limited time. But the ACL 101 manual will help you get started as to knowing what some of your options are and the guiys will be starting to get back more online over the next week or 2 as their shows start to run and they have more free time.

Gray_magic

The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!
welcome to ACL,
I'm new to this sort of stuff as well, in actual fact it's my first year doing this. I started simple this year with 48 channels to get used to the programming and setting up lights, fixing problems and bug fixing. I used mainly Big W strings with LOR controllers and 30v power units bought from Ray Wu on advice from this forum. Help from these guys seems to help A LOT!! I'm looking at pixel strings and CCR for next year but for now the dumb led option has worked quite well for me. You can check out the video if your interested.

christmas lights 2012

this was the fun one i programmed for this year and was actually my first. I have since programmed another 4.

As I said These guys here will help you alot but we are all quite busy preparing. switch on for the Brisbane comps are this week so I'm pretty busy too. I work with Steve aka Superman and pick his brain quite a bit and he has been planning a pixel tree and a matrix panel all year. I'll be interested to see how this can all go together. So stay tuned to this forum and be patient because ACL will help you through the problems and give you good advice on getting the "kit" to get started.

have fun and enjoy the C.L.A.P!!!

Gray_magic

Jb595

New elf
Thanks for the responses. I've got some reading to do.

I think I've caught the Christmas light bug and am keen to start planning.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome51.gif

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Jake

You'll be amazed what you can do with blinking a heap of led strings of various colours and lengths and some 240v ropelight.

By January you'll have a lot of ideas in your head and the very friendly people here will be glad to help you make it a reality in 2013.