Hi to all my new friends

G Scura

New elf
New to to hobby, saw a setup close to me and fell in love. I want to to a display for next year, need help on how to get started. What should I buy first?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Welcome to ACL.

Without knowing what your skill-set is and you being new to animated RGB lighting, before any purchases I suggest a download and read of ACL's 101 Manual. Follow that with watching most or all of the Canispater Christmas videos on Youtube. That is Jeff (located somewhere in Texas) who has uploaded videos of RGB lighting with a hardware hands-on approach. His videos cover a good number of topics and gives visual help to those who learn easier by seeing. And then, the other sections of ACL, Wiki, Forum Archives, etc.

Most individuals begin with a small display and increase the size over time. Most ACL members use Falcon controllers and xLights (and that includes me). Meanwell power supplies are popular too.

BRW

New Elf
If possible, I would find a non-threatening way to approach the person responsible for the show you saw. I had a neighbor who allowed me to help pick up his Halloween show, I learned a lot by seeing the hardware (lights, props, power, etc). and the conversation directed me towards some youtube videos. That prepared me to learn much more with the 101 Manual hosted on this site; the link is under the home icon on the home page.

There is also a must see video by Keith Westley on a minimal show, which seems like a great way to get started.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf7uLhUObAk&feature=youtu.be

I have yet to build a show, it was too late for me this year. And I hear there are sales in the early new year.