Holiday coro 30 led strip

Shane L

New elf
Hello all, I was considering getting the 30 Leds M10 50 pixel ICS 12v 2811. They are on sale for $29, my concern is, I want a 12 strip mega tree. Will these be suffice enough to go Gifs, and text, or do I need a different strip. I don't want to lack quality, I have seen the displays on this site, and I want to achieve the same look. Thank you. :)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I used these strips for my 12strip Megatree last year
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

They were fine for doing animations. Similar to the strip Fasteddy used for his Megatree.
When doing an animation or picture you obviously have to take into account not only that it's three LEDs per pixel but also that the tree will be 12pixels wide but 50 tall so when you do a picture in the tree you need to make the object short and squat in the software matrix so the proportions will look ok on the actual tree. I am using LSP and did my pics in the matrix animation tool.
Camera has trouble picking up the pics clearly but I was happy with how the animations came out in the vid below -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_38z_IZVFE

Shane L

New elf
Thank you for the help, loved your tree. I guess that means its time to order, and a lot of work to do. :eek:

arw01

Full time elf
You might bump the budget and look at individual control one instead if you want to show a lot of graphics on your tree.

The INK1003 are individual control and can be cut at each meter at 30 leds per meter.

If you stay with the 2811 maybe going up to 60 leds a meter, but you have power injection considerations and your tree will be very bright so you could cut back on the maximum brightness in your software too.

If funds are strong later this year will do a mini mega out of the ink1003 strips at 3m per string.

Alan

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Yes if you want individual pixel control then Alan's suggestion is an option for more detailed graphics. Depends on budget and how much you want to get into power injection ( which last year I thought was complicated but have since discovered isn't really an issue, helped by Rays new T connectors where the centre is two core for power injection). Also depends on how tall you plan on making the tree ( mine is just over 6 meters with the star and uses the full 5 meter lengths of the strips). If making the tree shorter, that would save on money of course. Bear in mind the brightness as Alan mentioned. During a sequence the brightness is ok as the tree has bits on and off but when I have the tree just on in between sequences, the tree is extremely bright and I have to set the intensity to about 30% because it lights the neighbours up like daylight. You also want it to be a nice feature in your display but not dominate over everything else you've got flashing and blinking so again remember the more pixels per meter the more likely you are to confuse aircraft that you're the airport.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is the strip that I have mainly used within my display and for my Tree, So i see no issue with what you will be using

The reason you can get away with the 12vdc and still achieve a good result is that the tree is usually only 12 strips wide, so there is no need for 150 pixels long, you can happily get away with using 50 pixels with 12vdc. So personally i see no need for individual control especially on a tree that will only allow a resolution of 12 strips wide

mborg10

Michael Borg
For this year I bought 60 pixels per m. 5v ws2811. I got ray to custom make them 170 pixels long. Approx 2.8m with pigtails on the end. I also ordered the power injection tees. So other than the power injection cables I don't need to solder any strips. I have 12 of these strips but just undecided if I want a horizontal matrix which I can extend later or a 2d ray tree.