Hot glue not working...

Binkles

Full time elf
Ok I'm rebuilding my Death Star...

But I can't get the hot glue to keep the pixels in the holes.

Would silicon help with this.

They are the pixel nodes not the strips.

See attached photos.

I could not get a universal hole cut.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364735733.103080.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364735733.103080.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364735787.758997.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364735787.758997.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 42

Binkles

Full time elf
I tried that, but couldn't get them to sit well, they were either too tight, or to loose, I think it's the curved pvc, and of course my less than expert ability. The bit I was using in my drill was 12mm and I couldn't get the lights in.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
From the looks of the picture I would tend to use neutral silicone to hold them in place or else even a drop or so of plastic epoxy. I have used epoxy to hold things like this on blow molds with no troubles and it lasts a very long time.
Plus the plastic epoxy sets up in just a few minutes so you can mix some, place a few nodes with it, and then mix a little more and continue. The silicone will take overnight to set up good.

Another trick you can try if you want is to drill the hole just a little bit smaller (say drill an 11mm hole) and then use a heat gun to soften the plastic or pvc and see if you can slip the node into the hole. When it cools it may hold but I wouldn't know without trying out on something first.

Usually these pixel nodes are 12 mm for the body but the actual "head" portion of them is 8 mm. So you could try using the 12 mm for the body side and an 8 mm hole for the "dome" side to stick through and see if that helps. The curve of the PVC is probably causing the hole to elongate when drilled and makes it tough to get a good fit.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I only use hot glue to set something in place that needs to be held. I then use neutral cure non corrosive silicone to mount my lights.

The issue with hot glue is it dries fairly rigid and thus any movement can make the lights come away, silicone has some flex to it and can handle any movement.