House being Rebuilt

Pircy

Full time elf
So the situation is that I am soon to my house raised and built in. The whole bottom level of the house will be brand new. I have spoken to my electrician about making my house 'christmas lights' friendly. I have asked for a multitude of external power points. I would love any other suggestions, electrical, physical build or otherwise that I can incorporate to enhance my lighting potential.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
get them put onto a completely separate circuit if they already aren't planned to be.

gerry

Senior elf
If u are planning to re-landscape ,
- solid fences , hedges , taller plants (eg standard roses) etc are not great :( .. and to be avoided if possible.
- You may wish to lay plastic pipes to route the (CAT or other) cables through under the soil first.

Jim

New elf
and external dedicated LAN connection or similar. I put in a dedicated line from our computer room to outside wall. If I want the outside wall connection to be internet enabled I simply connect the inside socket to the switch. On the other hand why not run 2 Cat cables, one for lights and one for LAN
Jim...

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
If your controllers will be outside, I would put in outside ac outlets in as many areas as you think you want your lights, also run 2 cat 5 cables close to the outlets as well and have them come together in your basement. Also, 3 dedicated circuits would be a nice addition so one isn't loaded up. By the way, the outlets won't be where you want them in then end, but you can try and make a guess lol

Pircy

Full time elf
Cool. Lots of responses. Guess im lucky to have a blank canvas to work from. I do have a 1m tall fence and it is staying. I need to keep kids away from the main road 50m from my house. The positive to this it i will have external power at 3 points off the back of the fence posts. Yes like the idea of external cat/ethernet ports. I am looking to place these at 3 points on the exterior of the house next to a further 3 power outlets on the house exterior. Sounds great so far!

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Two years a go I got an electrician to put in 7 outside power points + the one we already gave us total 8.
So there are three on the outside of the house, two on the front brick fence, one in our center garden, one on a outside carport brick wall and one on a side wooden fence. Makes hooking up to power so much easier with less cables to hide away so people don't trip over them while visiting. So I'd say get as many as you can :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Also it a good idea to lay a couple of conduits down before they lay the concrete for paths and driveway, that way you can easily get your wiring across these areas for the future for any use

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Consider your outside speaker location and lay conduit or cable to suit..

Pircy

Full time elf
Our plans have the double garage going right to the fence so that will be a good place for another powerpoint and maybe ethernet ports and also where I can hide speakers. I was also thinking of getting them to add some kind of mount to the garage roof so I can emplace a bubble machine. Does anyone have any specific mounts for bits and pieces they put on their houses?