House Outline Wiring Help.

Iranian45

New elf
Hi All,

I want to perm mount my house outline. I have modeled my house in sketchup and attached side and front shots here on how I imagine the lighting to go. I live on a corner lot so I have a lot of area to cover.

The longest part on the garage side is about 43 feet and measuring straight across the front of the house was about 49 feet. I am planning on using the J-channels to mount the lights to the house.

I am using ws2811 12v pixels and am looking for advice on controller and power supply placements and how you would do your cable runs. I am hoping to keep everything inside the garage if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• House Outline Front.png
    House Outline Front.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 11
  • House Outline Side.png
    House Outline Side.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 12

TerryK

Retired Elf
What is your anticipated pixel spacing in the J Channel? I also suggest you modify both graphics to show the length of each pixel segment. Without knowing a bit more, my only thoughts so far is use regulated pixels (more immune to voltage drop) and use higher wattage supplies.

Iranian45

New elf
I am still debating on 2 or 3 inches for pixel spacing, I will try and modify the images to show lengths of each segment and update tonight. I am using regulated ws2811 pixels. and havent bought the power supplies yet.

i13

Dedicated elf
This looks doable but could a second power supply be placed under the verandah or under the protruding window? It is a personal preference but I would use a second power supply and inject power instead of trying to power everything through the controller (not sure what your preference is). These are some long distances so voltage drop might be a problem depending on the cable thickness and the brightness that you set the pixels to run at. Knowing the pixel spacing will help with estimating power supply, controller and cable requirements because we'll know the number of pixels. Do you plan to add to this setup in future?

With the information given, I can only give general advice which would be to choose pixels with the thickest possible cable between them and with custom wire spacing. For example, if you mount pixels 5 cm (2 inches) apart, buy pixels with wire spacing that is just slightly wider than this. Don't get them spaced at 10 cm (4 inches) apart because the longer wiring will cause more voltage drop.

Is there a link to the J-channels? Pixels that are permanently exposed to the weather can deteriorate.

I'd suggest adding metric conversions for the measurements because metric is so commonly used in Australia.

Iranian45

New elf
This looks doable but could a second power supply be placed under the verandah or under the protruding window? It is a personal preference but I would use a second power supply and inject power instead of trying to power everything through the controller (not sure what your preference is). These are some long distances so voltage drop might be a problem depending on the cable thickness and the brightness that you set the pixels to run at. Knowing the pixel spacing will help with estimating power supply, controller and cable requirements because we'll know the number of pixels. Do you plan to add to this setup in future?

With the information given, I can only give general advice which would be to choose pixels with the thickest possible cable between them and with custom wire spacing. For example, if you mount pixels 5 cm (2 inches) apart, buy pixels with wire spacing that is just slightly wider than this. Don't get them spaced at 10 cm (4 inches) apart because the longer wiring will cause more voltage drop.

Is there a link to the J-channels? Pixels that are permanently exposed to the weather can deteriorate.

I'd suggest adding metric conversions for the measurements because metric is so commonly used in Australia.

If I add to it I would use another controller/power supplies this would be the only permanent display. I have 4 inch spacing wire so given your advice on the I think I will be doing 3in spacing. I am not opposed to throwing the PSU under the window, i was just trying to eliminate the need to adding an outlet.

the j channels would probably be these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ply-Gem-5-8-in-x-1-1-2-in-x-12-6-ft-Pewter-J-Channel-VJC581NPH/202666288

sorry, i will try and update pictures with metric.

Last edited:

i13

Dedicated elf
Do you already have the pixels? If so, could you post a link showing where they were listed for sale? It is still okay to mount them at the spacing that you want; the power injection might just need to be slightly more frequent. If you don't already have them, many suppliers will use the wire spacing and thickness that you ask for.

It would technically be possible to power everything from the garage but the wiring might become a bit cumbersome.

What brightness do you want to run the pixels at?

TerryK

Retired Elf
The link to the pixels are resistor pixels. If you purchased them from RGB Man then they are almost certainly 18 AWG 4 inch spacing.

A few lengths are missing but enough are there to get in the ballpark I think. Based on the general drawing scale I estimated a few. Unless I missed something it looks like slightly less than 2500 pixels. Not knowing your anticipated drive level that is in the 140 Amp range at 100% White so my first recommendation is a Meanwell RSP-2000 supply. That will drive the pixels at 70% White and with a single supply you avoid the common power supply concerns. It's likely also cheaper than purchasing 6 or 7 RSP-320 supplies. The next step up is I think a RSP-3000 supply. In either case plan on powering the supply with 240VAC.

Keeping everything or most everything in the garage is fairly straight-forward with regulated pixels. Using resistor pixels will be a challenge (due to voltage drop in power injection cables). I'm not certain, but I suspect at minimum a fuse panel will be needed probably under the Bay Windows extension and likely a number of others strategically placed as well. Unless multiple power injection cables are run, sub-fusing is necessary. Multiple cables are always harder to camouflage. A buried 10 AWG cable out of the garage around the sidewalk to the Bay Window pixels will power them fairly well. Voltage drop in the cables will be factored out by regulated pixels (resistor pixels wouldn't).

A Falcon F16 will handle this well as will a F4. Between the two I would choose the F4 because it does not have port sharing with its expansion receivers and it also lets one 'compartmentalize' a display easier which you may want to do, at least here. I would have an expansion and a single receiver for the side street pixels (4 ports for the approximate 1000 pixels). For the front, 3 or all 4 board ports for the approximate 1500 pixels there. Another receiver could be added in the future, another 4 ports.

The rabbit hole goes deeper but that is enough mental gymnastics for the moment. Cheers.

Iranian45

New elf
Thanks for all of that info Terry, I might look into running some wiring to the bay window. The lights are resistor pixels, i was confusing them but have verified.

Updated the measurements to include everything and converted to metric. Also as far as drive level. I currently have everything set to max 50%.

I was getting roughly 4435 linear inches which at 3 inch spacing was about 1479 pixels if my math is correct. I could have easily missed some lines (I started going cross eyed looking at this too long).

Attachments

• House Model.jpg
    House Model.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 5
  • House ModelGarage.jpg
    House ModelGarage.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 5

TerryK

Retired Elf
I overlooked the 3 inch spacing. Thought you had indicated 2 inch spacing so I rounded lengths up to the foot and figured 6 pixels per foot to get into the ballpark. As mentioned, the significant distance of the power injection cables if keeping the electronics in the garage and longer string lengths will I think be difficult with resistor pixels. They would work nicely I think closer to the supply such as around the garage and personal door on the side street and perhaps the garage windows.
It would require planning but there's nothing wrong strategically mixing resistor and regulated pixels. I use/have both, use the resistor pixels where the cable lengths are shorter. I do keep them separated in different strings/ports.

Iranian45

New elf
I think it might be easier to just run power to the front window. I am probably going to need to upgrade my service and box soon anyways.