How big is yours?

scamper

Dedicated elf
After making some modifications to my mega tree this year I needed to extend the pole a little.
So after searching through the scrap, I found a piece of steel that with a bit of persuading would fit inside the top of the old pole and then I welded it in for good measure.
I undercoated then painted and have just now sat it into the spigot that is concreted in the ground.
One job ticked off...
So then I measured it :unsure:
To the top of the star on top it will be 5.8m from ground height (19 feet)
As I sit about 800mm above the road height that thing is going to be able to be seen from half way around the block xD

So I ask...
How tall are your mega trees?

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I keep mine low because I can't dig deeper without machinery than 500mm for footing because of rocks in soil. Too risky to go up higher in QLD storm season so it tops out at 3.7m

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
3.2m is the length of my mega tree pole from the ground, excluding the star. Not sure what the total height will be yet as I am upgrading the star to pixels this year + changing the star mount.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'd have to measure as I'm not actually sure since I did the upgrade last year.

Also FYI, have you added your megatree to the database yet?!

Zuseleets

Full time elf
I'd have to measure as I'm not actually sure since I did the upgrade last year.

Also FYI, have you added your megatree to the database yet?!
Cool! I didn't know this database existed. Something to look at for when I finally redo my megatree next year (that was supposed to be done two years ago, maybe three years ago).

Oh and my megatree is currently 5.4m long, if you include the star.

RAMJET

so much to do so little time
Generous elf
6 metre 40mm pipe as the back bone, some 500mm in the ground. With bigger star I think it's around the 6. something to the top of the star. Is higher than my roof line. First pic before bigger star, 2nd with bigger star

1695637723213.png1695637867211.png

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
Where is everyone buying their poles from? I was lucky, I had a plumber living across the road from me at the time who happened to have a pole laying in his back yard that he had for many years and it was the perfect size to fit both the topper I had and an umbrella base. I wouldn't mind building another one next year in the neighbours yard, but I have found it tricky to find the right size pole. 3m would be perfect.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
The bottom half of my pole actually started its life as a netball hoop with stand. A family member was going to get rid of it and it just happened to be the right diameter to fit a smaller diameter metal pole in the top to make it taller (the former netball hoop was only about 1.7m high on its own with the hoop part removed). So not exactly from a retailer!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have a steel place (Edcon steel) about 3 minutes up the road. Ended up ordering a 6.5m galvanised steel pipe (40mm ID, 3.2mm thick) from them, which conveniently fits nicely into a 50mm ID sewer pipe which I concreted into the ground.
Cut it down to 5.7m, 700mm buried approx, and the topper doesn't get winched right to the top as the star has to clear the guy wires. All in all about 4.5m to the top of the tree below the star.

1695640412831.png
No idea if this price is reasonable, but I was happy with it!

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Using something similar as Skymaster.

I’m using 50NB medium galv pipe and an inner pipe with 40NB medium galv pipe. Based on the ASAP mega tree design.
Did my first test stand of a 3.6m section of 50NB (850mm in the ground)

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpeg
    IMG_3722.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Mine is 7.3 meters to the top of the star and 6.1 meters to the top of the tree. I use a pole that the previous owner installed to be a flag pole, but is actually a natural gas pipe he salvaged and buried over 2 meters deep in the ground.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
It’s grown and I’ve pruned off some more this year - so I’m hoping my 2.5m high worth of pixels might actually sit off the ground. I’m also adding 2.5m of “topper” by running on the leaves.

8850F7AC-EEA0-43DD-93EA-E5138DEB0767.jpeg

andrewa

Full time elf
Mine is 6.6 meters tall, 32 strings of 50, 360 degrees. Tree is 5.6m and the star is 1m

Really should upgrade it as it is now in its 10th year.

Picture is from my first year of pixles in 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited: