How early is too early...

cfowlerlock77

New elf
Hi everyone,

I am a very newbie here, infected with the C.L.A.P already and apprently obssessed with blinking lights! (Never, really...)

My partner surprised me with a LOR which i am trying to work out but being a very visual person i want to see some of my creations working.

So my question is, how early is too early to start putting things up round the house ready for our amazing displays???????? i have a big fence and i am not sure on the amount of strings of lights i will need, and the only way i can think of knowing is start putting some up.

By the way, you guys are amazing and one day i hope to be as clever as you all are :)

Cam.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Cam,

I'm in Ipswich, I do a display at Halloween in late October for a friends party then pretty much start putting the
display up the weekend after that early November just so I can do some sneaky midnight tests. Previous to those month I have also set up controllers and lights in the back yard to make sure that the timings to song behave the way I want and I have all the controllers configured correctly this defiantly saved head aches when I turned it on the first time as I did find many issues.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ive always started putting things up the first week of November as it gives me enough time to get it all together. Others start much earlier, it really goes down to how much time and effort is required to set up your display.
I also dont like to get things up too early as it is then exposed to the elements for a longer period than it may need to be.
But if your keen to see how your blinky flashy looks, do what i do and have a room dedicated to it so you can test and play before putting it up.
Wishing you the best for your display, remember there are not many rules with creating a display so you can put it up now if you wanted (im sure you would get strange looks from your neighbours)

JPB

Full time elf
I am kinda with Eddy on not putting things out to early because of UV damage etc. If you want to get a head start you can start working out your cable runs and getting it all in place in October so that when it comes to set up you just need to plug the lights in.

As for testing, definitly test it all now in the garage or the back yard so there are no nasty surprises later in the year. Use the display visualiser to check your timing and remember that you will be more critical than the average punter. I am using RGB elements for the first time this year and while I have tested a few transitions on single elements in the garage I won't know how it really is until the first Saturday in December (or maybe a quick peek late on Friday night)

Jon

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Don't put stuff up too early as it may walk or die due to UV. As a newbie though you need to have a fair play with sequencing and seeing what stuff does well before you switch on for Christmas. A string or 2 attached and laid out on the lounge room or shed floor will let you see what you can do.
If your better half surprised you with the LOR software as well as the controller then you can play around with the visualiser and there are hundreds/thousands of sequences that you can download from all over the place to give you ideas and a running start. With the impending release of LOR3 and its automatic sequencing you may not have to do much more than draw in where your display elements are going and select a song and you'll have something worth blinking along to.

Dave

Full time elf
Don't worry too much about the partner groaning......once the display is up and running and people are enjoying themselves.....she will be telling you what you have to change and add to the display next year....hahahahaha :D

Dave

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Dave said:
Don't worry too much about the partner groaning......once the display is up and running and people are enjoying themselves.....she will be telling you what you have to change and add to the display next year....hahahahaha :D

Dave

Yes my wife does the same, even my brother inlaw, they all keep well away from helping during the setup and hassle me out about planning during the year. But when its all up they are first to give 'advice' and take credit for the smallest of input.

cfowlerlock77

New elf
Yes my partner is long suffering................. First year with a LOR - lets see how i go. However i am worried about how it will go because the estate that i live in are a bit stuck up if you get my drift.....