How I used the 400mm x 350mm x 120mm IP65 ABS Plastic Enclosures

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd show you how I ended up using the large plastic enclosures last year. Being a pretty large size I managed to squeeze quite a bit into them.

IMAG0010.jpg

1 x 12 Volt PSU,
1 x AVD APC731 6 Way Fused Power Breakout PCB,
1 x ECG-PIXAD8,
4 x 27 Channel Controllers (from Ray Wu)
2 x 12 Volt PC cooling fan (from ebay)

I started off by cutting some old particle board cupboard shelving in the bottom to be able to secure the items to. I mounted the PSU and all 27 Channel Controllers to some aluminium angle strip then screwed them to the particle board base. The PIXAD8 was mounted direct to the particle board.

I also cut the holes is the side for the cable glands and made up a sheet metal bracket to hold the cooling fans.

IMAG0011.jpg

Other photo's of the internals
Internal Photo 1
Internal Photo 2

Cut a rectangular hole in the lid and pop riveted an air vent to help with temprature control
External Air Vent Photo
External Air Vent Close Up Photo

Also mounted some cheap brackets from Bunnings to mount off the ground to the frame I slapped together from old timber decking laying around

Frame Photo
Mount Photo 1
Mount Photo 2

Everything went well for the entire season and I'll be glad to fit out some more enclousres for this year elements and I hope this post is of some help to someone :)

kane

Dedicated elf
Looks good

Where did you get the cable glands from, as they look good. Makes my dodgy method looks primitive (drill a hole, poke cable through, try to seal with silicone or liquid insulation tape)

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Kane said:
Where did you get the cable glands from, as they look good.

Hi Kane, I ended up finding them the cheapest here and you might even be able to pickup to save on delivery. I ended up buying quite a bit from here for the free delivery.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You did pack it in very tightly. The only thing that could be a potential issue with packing that much in is the heat, I noticed you created a vent for the additional fans you installed but what i dont see is a second vent for the air to enter, unless its not shown. This would help a lot more with creating a flow of air through the box, as the issue with only having the one vent is that the air flow is only really created at the fan/vent and this is very inefficient in its function.

kane

Dedicated elf
talk2coxie said:
Kane said:
Where did you get the cable glands from, as they look good.

Hi Kane, I ended up finding them the cheapest here and you might even be able to pickup to save on delivery. I ended up buying quite a bit from here for the free delivery.

Thanks for that. The page you've linked to doesn't mention that it's a pack of 100 for $48 (for the smallest ones) - a bit confusing, but the product list page does list the pack sizde.

I see you've put multiple cables into each gland (4?) - I assume you've just stuck 4 cables into the one hole, rather than these being those glands have 4 holes in the one gland? Does that seal it nicely?