3.x How to and what to copy profile

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have vixen 3 and have got my whole family syncing songs now. The problem is that when I add an element or change something, I need to either transfer the tim file onto my computer and render it again, or update the profile on the other computers. Which of coarse is the obvious choice however, What exactly do I zip? Or do I even need to zip?
When I go to zip the profile it takes forever and to unpack it on an older slower computer it is ridiculous.
I have seen people mention it before, but did a search and cannot find what I need to do and as yet there is nothing I can find in the vixen documentation.

Ralphyf1

Full time elf
Hi Scamper,
While only new at this game, I set up a dropbox account and have my Xlights files in it so even when I do some sequencing at work my home copy is automatically updated. You can give any number of PC's access to dropbox and thus keep everyone's Vixen files current. Cheers and have a great Xmas.

battle79

Full time elf
I concur that this is the best way to manage it. Just make sure 2 people aren't trying to do the same song at the same time as that will cause one of them to loose all their hard work.

Cheers,

Kitman

Full time elf
I think scamper is referring to when he makes changes to the models or add's new models to Vixen. Having the sequences shared across multiple PC's is fairly easy and there are multiple ways you can do it, personally I would use a cloud shared drive which you can access from any PC and it's all saved in the one central location so no need to send a new file to drop box and download just edit directly on the cloud.

Scamper is referring to the actual base application and changes to the layout and adding new elements, since these are saved within the application and not the sequence files he want's to know what files to copy to the multiple PC's that have vixen installed.

Personally I am not sure where the model information is saved in vixen however when I get a spare minute I can do some looking to see what I can find if nobody else has the answer before then.

Kitman

Full time elf
Well just had a spare 5 minutes hahaha.

I found that there is a systemconfig.xml file which is stored on windows 10 C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Documents\Vixen 3\SystemData which seems to have the model information in EG mega tree, mini tree's etc, it might even contain the information about the pixel patching but not sure.

In the same folder is a ModuleStore.xml file which may contain more info, so perhaps both of those files are all you need to copy over to the other PC's after making a change for it to reflect.

Give it a shot and let me know otherwise I can dig deeper.

battle79

Full time elf
I simply store the whole show directory (as opposed to the program directory) on my dropbox account.

This seems to include models, channel mapping, preview image, preview setup, music, sequences and export files.

Doesn't seem to have any issues. I export to play on a fpp Pi, so couldn't tell you what playback to lights is like through this setup.

Regards,
Rowan

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks for all of your input. But the question is, as Kitman is referring, what to save to transfer the profile.
I have no problem once the sequence is done, to just copy the timing file (tim. file) and then what I have been doing is open it on my computer and let it render and make any small changes that I want.
But what I want to do, is when I add a new prop, or move something around in the yard and change it in the preview on my main computer be able to save that in the profile and add it to the profile on another computer.
At the moment, when I zip the profile, it is saving everything including 5 years worth of timing files, and all the media in the folders etc etc.