How to attach lights and light frames to a tile roof

JPB

Full time elf
burner said:
Is that silicon on the 2nd pic? If so, what type is it?

yes it is Silicon, for use on Bricks and Tiles purchased from Bunnies. I bought black to match the colour of the tiles.

Jon

JPB

Full time elf
Wombat said:
I got a heap of large wooden cutouts (7) Painted with bright colours from a garage sale for $40 bargain. now I have to work out how i'm going to mount them on the roof. might need something a bit stronger than that though. these might just pull the tiles off with them.

Wombat

Yes, I agree. Because I am using them on wire frames there is not too much wind loading.
The bracket is held in place by a nail through a hole in the bracket, through the tile fixing hole and into the batten but the weight of the tile sitting on it does a pretty good job of holding it anyway. Anything lower on the roof than the bracket would tend to just pull the bracket out from under the tile. The wind blowing on anything further up the roof would tend to lift the bracket and tile and would then let the wind under the tile and perhaps peel the roof off. Not good.

If I was anchoring something serious I would drill through the tile and put an eye bolt into the joist and then seal around it, similar to guy ropes on a TV mast.

Jon

JPB

Full time elf
JPB said:
burner said:
Is that silicon on the 2nd pic? If so, what type is it?

yes it is Silicon, for use on Bricks and Tiles purchased from Bunnies. I bought black to match the colour of the tiles.

Jon
The silicon is an outdoor rated sealent style rather than a construction adhesive in black to match the black roof but you can a product called sicaflex that is an outdoor rated adhesive.
I judt gave the tiles a good rub with a stiff brush to clean them before putting the silicon on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

StevenAndrews

New elf
Attached are photos of three fixing methods I use.
One is a tie down point for frames, The first is a base for 3D see saw frame that I need to keep level the middle one is a tie down point for rope lights and the last is a tie down point for wire frames.

The tie down points stay up all yeaCable Mount vs Twisted wire for Tiled Ridge Caps.JPGr.

Jon
JPB, is that 2nd picture above still working for you? the twisted wire with loop siliconed onto the ridge cap?

It seems the better option even the silicone and flat on Cable tie mounts, simply because you can get right onto the curve of the very top of the ridge cap.

Is this the product you used?

Roof and Gutter type products are more aimed at metal substrates

Last edited:

nightflyer00

James
Hi Lanas. I've put lights on my tiled roof for the first time this year.

I used Selleys Roof and Gutter Silicone Sealant - Black. It seems to have worked really well so far. I tested for 2 week before using by attaching a bracket and then removing it. Was still holding well after 2 weeks and the cleanup just required a stanley knife to get the silicon off. Make sure you clean the tile with turps before attaching.

For the bracket I used the Carinya 20x600x1mm Flat Make-A-Bracket. I would fold it so that 3 segments are on top. 1 segment for height and about 4 segments on the bottom to be siliconed to the roof tiles. I bolted a 25mm conduit clip to the top of these because all my ridgeline lights are Coro strips attached to 25mm electrical conduit.

I'll talk a photo of a leftover bracket when I get home from work tonight.

Hope this helps.

StevenAndrews

New elf
Hi Lanas. I've put lights on my tiled roof for the first time this year.

I used Selleys Roof and Gutter Silicone Sealant - Black. It seems to have worked really well so far. I tested for 2 week before using by attaching a bracket and then removing it. Was still holding well after 2 weeks and the cleanup just required a stanley knife to get the silicon off. Make sure you clean the tile with turps before attaching.

For the bracket I used the Carinya 20x600x1mm Flat Make-A-Bracket. I would fold it so that 3 segments are on top. 1 segment for height and about 4 segments on the bottom to be siliconed to the roof tiles. I bolted a 25mm conduit clip to the top of these because all my ridgeline lights are Coro strips attached to 25mm electrical conduit.

I'll talk a photo of a leftover bracket when I get home from work tonight.

Hope this helps.
hi any images are appreciated, the more the merrier, closeups and different angles etc

nightflyer00

James
Here you go. I had one left over. Tried to get a shot of the roof too but hard without a ladder.

Attachments

• PXL_20201205_084711115.jpg
    PXL_20201205_084711115.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20201205_084705923.jpg
    PXL_20201205_084705923.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20201205_084711115.jpg
    PXL_20201205_084711115.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20201205_084719790.jpg
    PXL_20201205_084719790.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20201205_084736050.jpg
    PXL_20201205_084736050.jpg
    818.7 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20201205_084943168.jpg
    PXL_20201205_084943168.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 82

StevenAndrews

New elf
Here you go. I had one left over. Tried to get a shot of the roof too but hard without a ladder.

I get the picture I think, as I am not at the pixel level I dont think i have to worry about my string lights, thats all i am running up there, being as straight as yours. So ill probably go with the more basic wire method. I spoke to a string light guy and he said the key is to have the lights forever twinkling or moving, never straight on as then you can tell if your wire isnt taught and straight.

Your setup would obviously be alot more noticeable for the other 11 months of the year.

Its probably the only way for a nice straight line up there though, that conduit, even the 20mm you cant go too long a run without that flexing and bending too, so not sure how often, in mm , you repeat your brackets?

Also, how did you paint them, what method, did you sand them back with say 180, wax and grease remover, let air dry, then a metal primer (which one etch or ??), and then obviously the colour.

Is that corrugated material your pixels then stick up through?

Its good to see these images for the benefit of this thread to people

nightflyer00

James
It's just really cheap Export Black Matt spray paint. You can get it at super cheap auto and other places. Sometimes on special for as little as $2 a can.

I'm probably going to pull the brackets down after Christmas. Don't think the wife would be too happy with them being up all year round although they are not super noticeable since they're painted black.

The material is Chromatrim. You can buy it here. https://www.extremelightingdisplays.com.au/shop/pixel-rgb-mounting-strips/chromatrim/ It's then just zip tied to the 25mm conduit from Bunnings that is painted black with the same paint.

I did try to sand and clean the items before painting but got sick of that after the first couple and then just sprayed them. It looks fine and if I need to touch some up next year I will.

Brackets are about 1.5-2m apart. Haven't had any sagging yet but we've only had about 2 hot days here in Melbourne since it all went up. I am using 25mm though. That might help.

I've seen posts about strip leds where they mount them to conduit too. Could be the way to go for you too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-James