How to/Help programming RGB Strips

johnson8ryley

My idol is ɟɐsʇǝppʎ
I just got my everything bought for my 2012 RGB setup this year but now I must learn how to program RGB Devices. The Strip is a smart strip and is identical to the Cosmic Color Ribbon. Does anyone have any guides or tutorials on how to program these? My first question I have though is about how to set it up in sequence editor. I have 4 boxes amounting to a total of 64 channels but these do not plug into the LOR boxes and do not consume a channel so my question is, do I add 3 channels (3 strips) on top of the 64 channels from my boxes?
[/size]
[/size]I should add that I have S3 and have an advanced license but do not have the superstar editor ( I believe that's what it's called )

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This video will help you understand how to connect up your ECG-P2 controller to LOR
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2460.0.html

As far as actual sequencing the strips with LOR, then LOR maybe the best place to find that info, In the end its just a strip of 50 RGB channels. Just remember things like macros that work with LOR and the CCR will not work with DIY controllers and DMX/e1.31. But then ive never used them to do what i want so no great loss.

But definetly LOR forum has some great resources on how to use LOR S3.

S3 Videos http://www.lightorama.com/S3TutorialLinks.html

User manuals http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html

johnson8ryley

My idol is ɟɐsʇǝppʎ
Eddy would macros consist of twinkling and such? As long as I can color fade, regular fade, and set intensity, then I'm fine. I just wanted to make sure. I never used twinkling or anything like that anyways but just checking. Thanks so much for those links. I had the documentation but I knew lor had tutorials somewhere but I appreciate the ECG-P2 video. That will definetly save me time. As far as the s3 videos go, I just upgraded to S3 a few weeks ago so Im not aware of any of it's new features. Thanks for all your help eddy, you saved me around $350. Lets just say I'll be making the rounds again next year ;)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes macros are used for the CCRs for things like chases and some effects as well as twinkle and shimmer for the full range of LOR controllers.
You can still do these effects manually via the sequencing software anyway and is the way that non LOR users will sequence as the macros feature is only for LOR products.
The macros are for reducing data bandwidth to teh controllers as LOR does not have an actual limit on channels used within its network. DMX has a limit of 512 channels per universe and this limit is designed so the controllers will be able to recieve and process the data at the full DMX refresh rate.
E1.31 using the network RJ45 output from your computer has a much larger bandwidth capacity and for one ECG-P2 controller you wouldnt even be coming close to using that available bandwidth.
So you can still do all the effects you want, you just do them in the S3 sequencer manually instead.

johnson8ryley

My idol is ɟɐsʇǝppʎ
Fine by me. I'd rather save $350 then use macros. I think I have everything ready that I need. If you could give my DMX setup thread a quick look over, it'd be much appreciated. Tomorrow I'm going to photoshop everything together so I can get a visualization of how everything's going to work.