How to make effect

DroneMaster278

New elf
Hey, this may be a dumb question, but i have not found and answer anywhere else. I was watching videos online of Christmas lights, and i saw one effect that i really wanted to replicate. It is a simple dot that runs up and down. not the best at explaining. It is in this video around the 0:05 mark. Any help is really appreciated.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Most of the time those are single strand effects, possibly applied to the roof outline group, or the sides specifically. But there are plenty of other effects that would do it.

Anyway, if I had to do it...
1. First, get the beats using the vamp plugin. (He has vertical effect on one beat, horizontal the next)

2. Add a single strand chase effect to the vertical lines group in the right timing interval.

3. Fuss about with the effect. Set to per model / per strand. Number of chases appears to be 2. Set direction. Set color. Set chase width, cycles, etc.

4. Copy/paste that effect to some other groups and time intervals

5. Go on to the next prop or next timing interval, whichever motivated me.

6. Get tired of that and go buy his sequence for $25. https://bflightshows.com/products/i-gotta-feeling-black-eyed-peas

7. Start importing / mapping the sequence.

8. Make it through most of the props, get confused about the arch/fan/spinner groups, skip them, render, and run is.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello,

It really depends on the software being used to do it but with xLights there are different ways it can be done using a single strand effect.

DroneMaster278

New elf
i am just new to this, and a little confused when i did not see this in the pallet. If anyone has a video of how to make this, i would really appreciate ti.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Oh, the irony of the single strand icon is that there are 2 strands on the icon. It's off to the right of the icons which happen to be alphabetical from left to right.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
OK, I'm not a video person but let's take it step by step.
1. Do you have the beats if you want them?
2. Yes, they're alphabetized if you happen to know the names.
1704299690309.png

Get those and then we'll do screenshots of the other steps if needed.

DroneMaster278

New elf
Thank you. I feel so dumb. I thought i read all of the effects in the manual, but i must have skipped this or something. Thank you for your help and patience.

DroneMaster278

New elf
Hey, i am having one more issue with my display. I am trying to make a circle cover my entire show, but it stops halfway. Do you know what is wrong with it?