How's your internet security?

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Hi All,

Recently in January 2019 there was a large 2.7 billion username and password data breach releasing millions of personal account information to anyone around the world.

As I've had family members compromised previously I am sharing the below website with you. It is a very basic tool to check your email address against over 6 Billion unique login credentials that have been leaked to online hackers to anonymously gain access to your accounts (this could also be your ACL login if you use the same password for everything)

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Type your Email address into the box and press enter it will scan all 6.4 Billion data breaches to check to see if your email address and password have been compromised.

If you have been "Pwned" consider changing all of your password to something new.

I would also like to take this time to remind everyone if you have an external hard drive backup all of your personal files and disconnect the hard drive to store it in a safe location (NEVER DO A BACKUP AND LEAVE THE DRIVE PLUGGED IN).

Lishfish

Full time elf
According to this at CashCrate my compromised data is : Email addresses, Names, Passwords, Physical addresses. As long as its not my hotmail account password im good. Cheers for sharing though

scamper

Dedicated elf
I recently had an email sent telling me that I have had my webcam turned on and recorded me doing, well you know what. They gave me my email address, well that is a given, but they also gave me a password that I have used. The thing is, I have many passwords that I use. I have secure ones for banking etc, mid security, for certain sites, then I also have a low security password that I use for a whole heap of sites that ask you for a password when it really is not necessary. This is the one they told me they hacked. So I know it is a scam, even before I take into account I don't even have a webcam.
The moral to this story is, you should NEVER use just one password for everything. You should also NEVER believe when someone sends an email trying to blackmail you. they are almost always scammers and rely on the odds of something happening once in a while.

Lishfish

Full time elf
I recently had an email sent telling me that I have had my webcam turned on and recorded me doing, well you know what. They gave me my email address, well that is a given, but they also gave me a password that I have used. The thing is, I have many passwords that I use. I have secure ones for banking etc, mid security, for certain sites, then I also have a low security password that I use for a whole heap of sites that ask you for a password when it really is not necessary. This is the one they told me they hacked. So I know it is a scam, even before I take into account I don't even have a webcam.
The moral to this story is, you should NEVER use just one password for everything. You should also NEVER believe when someone sends an email trying to blackmail you. they are almost always scammers and rely on the odds of something happening once in a while.
yeah I had this email sent a couple times asking for bitcoin as payment. Blocked the email cos I dont even have a webcam

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite

That scam is normally linked back to these data breaches and as you stated using black mail to scare people into a payment so they "Don't leak credit card details, etc" Always worth having different passwords for everything and 2 factor authentication on all your important logins.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Thanks for sharing.

I have a password vault called DashLane to keep all of my passwords. Each password is randomly generated with up to 20 characters and dashlane will log you into websites automatically. I agree with never using the same password for more than 1 thing.
I will certainly be checking out that site. Thank you

Kitman

Full time elf
Thanks for sharing.

I have a password vault called DashLane to keep all of my passwords. Each password is randomly generated with up to 20 characters and dashlane will log you into websites automatically. I agree with never using the same password for more than 1 thing.
I will certainly be checking out that site. Thank you
These password vaults are also not 100% effective as hackers have also gained access to some password vaults, when they do they have access to every users account and all of their passwords.

I typically have a different password for any website that has saved my credit card details so that if someone hacks say my ACL account they won't be able to get access to my email account or any other account that has banking details since they are different. Most of my forum passwords are the same since there is never much info saved to forums anyway.