Hunter Valley Gardens Christmas Lights Spectacular

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Big day yesterday, received first shipment of controllers and pixel lights and then went to the HVG Christmas lights and Mega Creatures show last night (ends today). http://www.huntervalleygardens.com.au/hvg/christmas-lights-spectacular-2015/
Lots and lots of lights, not many sequenced to music though.
Quite liked the leaves and flowers light strings they had, they used them in a few ways, but I thought these looked good:
The matrix behind the waterfall looked fairly impressive.
and they had stacks of sculptures made from some sort of plastic stuff

Pics attached

Attachments

• 20160125_202252.jpg
    20160125_202252.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 40

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
OzAz said:
Big day yesterday, received first shipment of controllers and pixel lights and then went to the HVG Christmas lights and Mega Creatures show last night (ends today). http://www.huntervalleygardens.com.au/hvg/christmas-lights-spectacular-2015/
Lots and lots of lights, not many sequenced to music though.
Quite liked the leaves and flowers light strings they had, they used them in a few ways, but I thought these looked good:
The matrix behind the waterfall looked fairly impressive.
and they had stacks of sculptures made from some sort of plastic stuff

Pics attached

The matrix behind the waterfall was done by us, its the third year now so its starting to look a bit tired as its located in a very harsh location with water constantly hitting the lights from the waterfall. Unfortunately it wasn't all working when I was there just before Christmas as they got hammered by a few large storms and didn't place certain items in the best locations so they were constantly under water for long periods. We have plans for some new additions hopefully for this year as they plan to open up a new section up top

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Well done Fasteddy.
The matrix looked like it had quite a few lights missing.

resized images and re-attaching
waterfall matrix and flowers, hopefully :)

Attachments

• flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 28
  • tree of flowers.jpg
    tree of flowers.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 31
  • waterfall matrix.jpg
    waterfall matrix.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 40

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I went and saw the display last year before Christmas. My wife surprised the family with a trip to the display. My first impression was surprise at the amount of static light displays. They were great but not knowing better I went in there with high expectations of synchronised displays. I liked the 12 days of Christmas but even it was virtually 12 static displays turned on one after the other. The synchronised mega trees had music but it had nothing to do with the flashing of the lights.

Don't get me wrong I did like it and I would go again. The static displays were great and there are heaps of them. I loved the biplane. I would love to have that budget. I agree the matrix under the waterfall could be good. But having one whole line out plus various other individual lights, if it was mine I would turn it off until it could be fixed. Having said all that there were very few lights not working considering the number lights there.

Ozaz, what were the dinosaurs like? they weren't there before Christmas.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BundyRoy said:
I agree the matrix under the waterfall could be good. But having one whole line out plus various other individual lights, if it was mine I would turn it off until it could be fixed.

I agree and hate to see it like that, but due to its location and the effort to install then they do no maintenance to it once installed because they drain the lake when they install and dismantle it and walk around in mud past their knees.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
BundyRoy said:
Ozaz, what were the dinosaurs like? they weren't there before Christmas.

The dinosaurs were good but we liked the giant bugs better. Telling children to "look up" and them seeing a spider the size of large vehicle. Priceless

Is this the plane you speak of?
a6e8eab30fc4e28c280c9144b37e2088.jpg

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I didn't realise the effort required to get the waterfall lights in. Having said that, I'm not sure my wife and kids even noticed the line of lights out. If they did they didn't care, but it drove me nuts to the point where I didn't want to look at it anymore. Maybe I have issues.

That's the plane Ozaz. Can't remember Santa being in it though. Must have a dodgy memory too. I too would have enjoyed the bugs. We went around twice. The first time it was 7.30ish so not real dark (like in your photo). Second lap was 8.30ish and much better.

Does anyone know if they change it much year to year.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BundyRoy said:
I didn't realise the effort required to get the waterfall lights in. Having said that, I'm not sure my wife and kids even noticed the line of lights out. If they did they didn't care, but it drove me nuts to the point where I didn't want to look at it anymore. Maybe I have issues.

You do have issues just like me and most here and that's called CLAP :D. When I was there most people didn't seem to notice and still heard many wows, but it bugged the hell out of me because one of the symptoms of CLAP is that we want blinky perfection. I have been told that they have lasted longer than anything else they have put in there in the past. Christmas 2015 was basically the exact same as 2014 and it was originally installed in 2013, so 3 seasons of being smashed constantly with water isn't too bad.

BundyRoy said:
Does anyone know if they change it much year to year.

They do add more each year and in fact will be opening up a new section for 2016