I can't solder pigtails to RGB strips....ARRHHHH!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Are there any tips on the actual process of soldering strips together? I have some water damage and need to replace 2 pixels of 2811 strip with an end on it (luckily I already have an end soldered on my left over strip!) but previous attempts to connect broken strip have resulted me in getting very angry!!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
djgra79 said:
Are there any tips on the actual process of soldering strips together? I have some water damage and need to replace 2 pixels of 2811 strip with an end on it (luckily I already have an end soldered on my left over strip!) but previous attempts to connect broken strip have resulted me in getting very angry!!

To solder strip together is just a case of making sure the cut in the strip is straight and flush with the new piece and to ensure you have a very clean solder pad so you may need to clean the pads of any silicone or corrosion.

Add solder to each pad on the strip so its like a little ball on the pad, then butt the strip up together and then heat the pad with solder and move the iron across to the other pad and the solder should follow the iron and join the 2 pads together.

It takes a little practice at first but becomes very easy after a few goes at it. Just make sure you put on the clear heat shrink first before you solder.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Yes they take a little practice forsure I have found need good amount of heat to tin the pads first. Then I use some double sided tape to stick em to my bench just a couple of small pieces to butt the joins so cant move whilst soldering . Also have found somtimes the little pads on top must be to dirty or corroded or contaminated and unable to tin in that case you can turn strips over and solder the back of them

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
At the risk of being flamed by the purists.... :D

I have found that a very small amount of yorkshire flux works wonders at removing corrosion from things when you are soldering. it seems to work especially well with oxidised wires that are on the cheaper end of the scale and things that are older such as 30year old PCBs.

the secret is just a very small amount and don't breath the fumes

Cheers
Fing

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Quick update: instead of trying to solder 2 pieces of strip together, I just used my left over piece which already had tails on it, cut to same length as existing damaged piece and then (eventually!) soldered a new tail on the other end, and used silicone in the join. So far so good!

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
djgra79 said:
Quick update: instead of trying to solder 2 pieces of strip together, I just used my left over piece which already had tails on it, cut to same length as existing damaged piece and then (eventually!) soldered a new tail on the other end, and used silicone in the join. So far so good!

Well done dj yes sometimes need to get away from the problem and when you return it works out .