I had no idea....

gregor

New elf
I've always done an elaborate display with Halloween and this year I decided to do a lot of DMX controlled lights and effects. During the many google searches for computer controlled lighting I found numerous xLights videos. I found myself watching more and more of them and learning what a 'mega tree' was all about. then 'coro' and all the various protocols and the need for 'power injection'. After watching all of the videos, I feel as though I know Keith W :) At any rate, I think I was more excited about the challenge more than having the light shows. So I experimented in with a two one hundred strings of 12v bullet pixel nodes, a small controller, and old power supply with some delco connecters for the power injection. After some trail and error and learning that you must look inside the pixel to confirm ground and power, it all worked. Then it was another and another.

I didn't really plan to do more than a couple strings to outline the hour, but accomplishment started another challenge Ending up with 800 mega tree, home build PEX arches, a few props on the house and in yard. Spending more and more time in xLights working on sequences. The community behind this is amazing. All the videos and information from auschristmaslighting made it possible. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. It has really be a blast.

Falcon F16v3
Nearly all 12V bullet pixel nodes (strips in the arches)
I like power injection and getting as many nodes on a port, but keep the ability to do 40 fps (mega tree is 800 nodes, 2 400 strings)
Falcon Pi Player
And of course, xLights!!!

From Aliso Viejo Southern California - right next to Laguna Beach

1606664760943.png

TerryK

Retired Elf
Welcome to ACL. Looks like you've gotten off to a good start. A lot of ACL members use Falcons and xLights (me too). Not sure how distant but there are several other ACL members in the California state and it's not uncommon to see them in ACL's chat Room. Cheers.