I thought I was a human being of average intelligence...

Slite

Full time elf
Yeah, but it seems like DMX is being pushed out by E1.31?

Should one go for that instead? To "secure for the future"?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I used a usb dongle in 2010 in 2011 went e1.31 so much easier and less grief also gives far greater options in the future.

I have Computer > network switch with 6 outputs> 2 x DR4's & 2 for pixel tree & 2 spare for this year

Slite

Full time elf
Ok, so what I would like to do for 2012 is this then:

I would like to have some 3-channel RGB LED string to "outline" my house, I want some mini-trees (ca 10) in the yard (preferebly RGB) so they can change color easily, I want som arches, three of them would do nicely. Also (if I have time) i would want to build som spinners and put on the roof. Maybe a simple "leaper" this year that could be expanded to a mega tree next year.

I also have a couple of "stationary" strings on the doghouse and on the outhouses, these i would like to turn off as the "show" starts.

Ballpark figure on what I wo9ld need controller wiser to handle that? And feel fre to shamelessly plug your favourite brands... apart from LOR, they are way WAY to expensive and not an option :)

Would prefer DIY kits, since I'm not afraid of soldering (as long as there are no surfacemount stuff)

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
RGB comes in 2 options "dumb" strings/strips when you control the entire string/strip as 1 such as the all red or purple or green or whatever you want this only uses 3 channels on a board I use AVD48's for these alternatively there is digital string/strip where you are able to control every single light in the string/strip individually so you can effectively have every led produce a different colour. for these I use the j1sys pixad8 or pixad12. I would also suggest a DR4 from j1sys as well.

As far as DIY all of the above come complete and tested as any board that requires soldering is surface mount, but dont worry I'm sure there will still be a heap of soldering you will find to do on your display

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
For outlining your house i would tend to think that strips would work better and as well be cheaper per LED for the same distance.
As beacy has already pointed out there are 2 types of RGB lights and you may be able to get a better understanding by looking at this thread and downloading the presentation and watching the videos
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1208.0.html
The use of 3 channel dumb RGB lights and/or the use of RGB Intelligent Pixel lights will determine which controllers would be best to use for each part of your display

zeph

New elf
wjohn said:
Depending on your location, the first choice is AC strings (USA), or DC strings (AUS),

Hmm. Could you explain about DC strings in Australia? I understand that you use 240 VAC mains (more sensible from a power viewpoint IMO, tho that may be easy to say given I've only been occasionally "bitten" by 120v so far this lifetime and that was plenty). But where does DC come in?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
240V can only be used outside in properly insulated items like 240V ropelight etc. Personally I am scrapping all my 240V items this year, so the only 240V outside here will be to controllers

Lower voltage via transformers is used to provide a safe source of power outside. Most common are 24V and 36V for AC incandescent lights. DC is a relative newcomer in terms of lights here and is because most LED strings dont like AC power being applied to them, or they have other side effects like flickering, or they wont dim properly etc.

DC Voltages vary widely, but 5V, 12V, 24V and 27V are quite common for LED strings here, and the beauty of DC is that a properly designed power supply can provide the same voltage from no load through to full load, something that is not possible with a standard transformer setup for AC lights. Considering many of us run a few hundred watts of LEDs on one power source then decent voltage regulation is important