Ideas needed to create Giant Matrix on side of a church

924aussie

Full time elf
I have free creativity for a display on the outside of the Wifes new Church. Besides the normal Megatrees, nativity sets, choir etc I am wanting to create a Matrix somehow on the side of the building. All costs come out of my pockets :'(

Think of the side as a giant pegboard already with 390 holes ( small coloured glass windows ) in it.
Far left panel is 90 windows followed by 5 panels each of 60 windows. All letters of the alphabet can be created as well as some basic graphics. Just this part of the project will need 390 RGB lights, eventhough the RGB lights wil be on the coloured glass, they will be on the outside of the building. So where should I start.

Horizontal strings 18 strings across and max 36 modules per string,
Verticle Strings 30 strings down and max 12 modules per string
or
390 individual adresses each with a tiny toggle switch :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF2321.jpg
    DSCF2321.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 49
  • chinchilla windows.JPG
    chinchilla windows.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 35
G

GoofyGuy

2811 pixel strips are cheap, so those are your ideal if you want something creatative. The tiny switch would be more costly and a terrible strain on the animater to do this live.

As for mounting and setup, build the matrix to it will fit the window frame out of 1/2 pvc. Use 1/2 t's to have cross slats and you should be able to fit a lot of pixels in each window.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you wanted to treat each sqaure as an individual pixel then these 24volt DC modules with 12 5050 RGB LEDs each will definetly make an impact and fill in each section. The other advantage is that there is less voltage drop concerns being 24 Volt. I would also ask Ray if he could make these with the required distance between them so they fit easily and make installation easy.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC24V-WS2811-pixel-module-12pcs-5050-RGB-SMD-LED-120mm-diameter-milky-cover-with-waterproof-pigtail/701799_717576532.html

924aussie

Full time elf
Will have to spend some time on his site and see if he has ones with a clear cover ;)

Alan

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
smartalec said:
cheers for that link alec. i will actually grab some of those this year as I have a particular need for them.. mwhahahahahaha

as for 924aussies original post. Wow, I guess is you are looking to put one/1 set of lights inside each of the openings, you have your work cut out for you. I hope that you can pull this off, iu would be interested to see what you come up with. and yess, for the cost effective line, 2811 would be your best bet.

Good luck

924aussie

Full time elf
OK I have sent off a email to find out if they have the above mentioned (5050 RGB) Leds in clear. Should I run strings down the building or across the building. There are 7 panels.

9 strings down of 8 lights per panel or
12 strings across of 6 lights per panel

504 total lights which ever way I go

Alan

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
personally I would run down and up (that way you could easily use nutcracker effect for megatree), however, that is just my personal opinion.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I would have to think that up and down would be best since that seems to be the way most people "think" about using sequencers and software to make effects.

924aussie

Full time elf
Still waiting for a response from ray to see if they come in clear as I dont want to totaly block the light coming in through the glass windows during the day.

We can sell you a wall of pixels strings or strips Aussie,
what do you have Tuppetsdad ?