If you could choose the "Hot" thing in Blinky for 2014 what would it be?

multicast

Senior elf
If you could magically wave your wand, and make the "hot" new thing for 2014 in blinky, what would it be? It might be some new hardware device or some software thing, or some widget..

Whacky, or sensible, love to hear

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Cascadable E1.31 boards is the thing that would be awesome.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Re: If you could choose the "Hot" thing in Blinky for 2014 what would it be?

Some sort of audience participation. Maybe something like I could program my lights to turn on and off and sequenced as normal but I could have a colour wheel out the front and the audience could turn it to change my display colours or the brightness.

kane

Dedicated elf
AAH said:
Yeah, I've mentioned this before a few times - you can get a 4 port 10/100 switch for $15-$20 including power supply and enclosure etc, so I'd imagine the electronics to support a 2 port arrangement would be pretty cheap.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Re: If you could choose the "Hot" thing in Blinky for 2014 what would it be?

Tom82 did something like this using a control from David_AVD. Tom had a 8 way switch and during specific times during his show pressing a button on the panel would play back a specific coloured scene.

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Some sort of audience participation. Maybe something like I could program my lights to turn on and off and sequenced as normal but I could have a colour wheel out the front and the audience could turn it to change my display colours or the brightness.

multicast

Senior elf
Kane said:
AAH said:
Yeah, I've mentioned this before a few times - you can get a 4 port 10/100 switch for $15-$20 including power supply and enclosure etc, so I'd imagine the electronics to support a 2 port arrangement would be pretty cheap.

theres suitable IC's for just a few dollars, add a few other bits of magnetics etc and your done. However deeply stacking ethernet switches brings with it other challenges. ( latency, and spaning tree )

kane

Dedicated elf
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:
Kane said:
theres suitable IC's for just a few dollars, add a few other bits of magnetics etc and your done. However deeply stacking ethernet switches brings with it other challenges. ( latency, and spaning tree )

By deeply stacking, how deep do you mean? For most of us, I'm sure we'd only be talking about 4-5 levels deep, if that. For myself, with not really a massive display, I have 3 separate locations that I run 2 or 3 cat5 cables to the same place - if I just to run one, that'd be a little bit easier. Doesn't cause huge issues, but it's just one of those things that you would think would be quite easy to solve

battle79

Full time elf
Speaking of deeply stacking. I found a site the other day that had 8 switches stacked from the front of the reception building with the servers to the back of 3 warehouses where dispatch was. Two of the switches were actually hubs with 10mb ports and one had bnc also.

They wanted to know why it took 15min to download a 1 page pdf to the dispatch pc when they send out goods.

Needless to say money was spent after some education on a new cable or two and some modern switches. LOL

arw01

Full time elf
I'm really loving the porcupine balls that combustionmark brought to the academy this year. Steve, caught my attention with his version, and I think they will be fabulous for fourth of July displays in the States. Thinking I may put them on beat sticks so fireworks can shoot up and "explode", and then for Christmas not sure where to put them yet, considered on each side of my arches just sitting on the lawn.

I also, it's a few years back, love the graduated poles posted here going from small to tall along the black hole that is the driveway, thought those were smart looking elements and have to figure out a topper for them. Maybe a little 5 point star with rigid modules, which lets you "spin" the star as well and pulse it, etc.

Alan

Brian000

Aviation visual reference engineer
On the software side maybe to create a mobile interface to let viewers activate the display by donating a dollar to our local food pantry. That is something I know nothing about but would like to do.
On the hardware side Craig's plasma icicles are on my hot list this year then the pixel spiral trees, pixel fan and pixel fireworks.