If you haven't ordered for this year you may want to after reading this.

Kitman

Full time elf
I know that the article is pure speculation, however personally I can see exactly what they are talking about in the article and it wouldn't surprise me if this was to actually happen. I wouldn't expect it to happen in the next month, however once the election is over and we have a new Government (Or the same one) things may change for better or worse. If they change the way the article is predicting then we could be looking at double the cost of our precious pixels.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/superannuation/australian-dollar-could-drop-to-40-us-cents-if-we-dont-stop-our-lavish-spending/news-story/431ffffa9eab5c1fe27cc2b3cf6f89b8

I know I will be trying to finalise my purchases soon before something changes.

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I wouldn't worry about that too much, they have been saying the same about our Canadian dollar for the last year.
With the downturn in oil prices our dollar went from above par with the US green back to about where you are now at around 77cents. Economists have said 6 month ago that we would be around 60 cents at this time but we are still at 76/77. Oil is going back up and with the mess of the US election it creates uncertainly in the markets which is why the US green back is stalling. Both Australia and Canada are very alike in their respective economies, both are heavily resource dependent......

multicast

Senior elf
IF trump gets in your dollar will soar against the USD. However the China ¥ will as well.

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
multicast said:
IF trump gets in your dollar will soar against the USD. However the China ¥ will as well.
I won't be able to buy anything from the states if he gets in......He's looking at building a wall up North and apparently we are going to pay for it.....It should rival the great wall of china...oh and we are supposedly obliged to give the US all our fresh water if they should ask...
Barnum and Bailey couldn't put together a better circus.
Just for a joke a resident of Cape Breton (where I am from), put a website up telling americans to move here if trump wins. Here is an excerpt from local media: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/this-is-not-a-joke-cape-breton-offered-as-refuge-from-trump-presidency-1.2781169
It was a huge hit...

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
The US dollar is already pretty screwed in world economic circles thanks to our idiot president who has no understanding of anything! Our debt keeps climbing daily and he spends it like we are the prince of Egypt with unlimited resources! Hillary keeps selling our resources off to Russia and others like Saudi Arabia for favors through the Clinton Foundation to line her own pockets. Sadly the US is a big mess.

Hmm, I hope that all Canadians are not thinking that Trump is going to isolate them like he is talking about with Mexico?
Last time I looked at his economics models for his campaign, he wanted to get closer to Canada as we are (or at least were friends) and he is hoping that Canada will help us to stem the flow of unvetted refugees into this hemisphere.
Although I will agree that economics are going to change as Obama has run this country into the toilet!

Of course if Hillary wins then you will have more of Obama ahead but that is not a good deal for Canada either as she is looking to increase tariffs with Canada as a move to promote income for the US. Course since she has shill companies in Canada raking in money for the Clinton Foundation, she may move slowly at it!
With Clinton in office, you can figure that the US will be a third world nation by the end of her term and we will be using Muslim sharia law in many places (some already do) as she wants to bring hundreds of thousands of unvetted refugees into the country within a couple of years.

Neither one is a good choice but Trump is our only chance at getting the country back to the principles of our founding fathers and freedom.
A wall only makes sure that we can "know" who is coming in and stop the hemorrhaging of terrorists into this country. Canada will become the next entrance way once a secure southern border is in place I'm sure.
If Hillary tries to implement gun control like Australia has, there will probably be another revolution here which will make the "world stage" a very unsecure place (even though Obama has done his best to screw it up already)!

And if Trump wins all the idiot Hollywood celebrities who keep saying that they will move to Canada is already a win-win for us as we see it!!! :D

algerdes

Al Gerdes
It amazes me the passion that comes out around here every 4 years. This time more than any other that I have witnessed in my lifetime.

Blame this one for that. Blame that one for this. Sometimes I think the media is the primary reason for all the differences caused, other times our overload of information. We start to filter, and having only our backgrounds to use as a filter, things go awry really fast.

There are 536 reasons for the mess we are in. 435 representatives, 100 senators, and the president.
(There are times that I also add the 9 judges of the supreme court to this number.)

We are now poised to elect one of two people that quite honestly are not that well liked. "Lesser of two evils" comes to mind. Unfortunately it seems that this one person, in one office, seems to cause great stress with some.

I truly hope that the turmoil we are going through does not affect our friends to any degree, but am afraid that it is going to. To all of you, from one of the "everyday citizens" of this country,

"Please hang in there. We can get better."

gerry

Senior elf
I just got back today from a trip to London etc (stayed with my uncle for a few days) - you should see the discussions and coverage about Brexit / Remain - i.e the referendum as to whether Britain should leave the EU. !!
There was n't much else on , including discussions on the exchange rate - the Oz points system that one party said could be introduced to try and stem the Eu migrants free flow etc etc.

Even my wife used that as some sort of justification for all the shopping she did :)

Coincidentally , the last time I went over, it was the week before the Scotland referendum whether to leave the UK or not .. next time I will visit Russia I think.