Illuminating Corrugated Plastic

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
From looking at the photos i reakon they look fantastic but then a picture can never show the real effect

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
So you took the illumination from behind path, they look great, but what confuses me is by illuminating from behind the whole star it is now a washed out effect as you cant see the individual LEDs, which is what i thought you didnt want unless thats what you wanted to achieve and I misunderstood.
either way they look nice and will be a great addition to your display, great work

Steve22537

Full time elf
They look realy great, any chance of some step by step photos of the construction. I can see dozens of them attached to 4M lengths of 6mm galv rod on my roof in about 10 months.

Steve

dariansdad

New elf
maybe " washed out" was not the right word to pick. The final star was actually what I was looking for. I'm still new to all the terminology with this hobby. As far as a how to, I am ready now to complete 4 Bethlehem stars in the same fashion. If you go http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=33 and watch the video, it will explain how I did it. I will post some assembly photos within a day or so as to how I did it.

dariansdad

New elf
Steve22537 said:
They look realy great, any chance of some step by step photos of the construction. I can see dozens of them attached to 4M lengths of 6mm galv rod on my roof in about 10 months.

Steve

Here you go Steve

Attachments

• Star How-to.pdf
    216.4 KB · Views: 62

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Thanks for the step by step instructions. One of the things you say is that you plan on painting the back side black in the hope of getting more light to reflect. the colour black doesnt have any real reflective properties and a colour like silver or white would be a better colour to use as these have much better refective properties

dariansdad

New elf
Yeah, in the how-to, you can see the back portion is black. I was hoping to get more light to the front section. Didn't do much good on that front, but made the piece look better when not lit. also, it will blend in better with the roof during daylight hours. I found I got more glow from the piece when I added another 35 LEDs. Not many lights, but made a huge difference in the finished product.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I do like the black corex effect that you did, it may pay to put some aluminium foil in between the black and the white corex, this way you will get the extra reflective properties but as well have the great look with the black corex. Just a thought.

dmoore

Senior elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I do like the black corex effect that you did, it may pay to put some aluminium foil in between the black and the white corex, this way you will get the extra reflective properties but as well have the great look with the black corex. Just a thought.

When I developed the updated CoroStars, I did a bunch of testing and determined that for reflection, white coro reflected better than anything. In the case of the CoroStar, I needed reflective on the inside, but didn't want light coming out the sides - so just painting it black on the outside solves that problem.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nice effect there David, just a shame that us from down under cant obtain these goodies you create. But i have had similar results when playing around with corex, i just use 5mm white corex as it was what i found worked best as well. My tune to sign takes on the same concepts as you mention which is made from white corex that has been painted on the outside, seems to work well.