Implications of multiple splices

thevikester

Apprentice elf
I have just purchased some stick trees, and was thinking of putting RGBs on them, but only want to run the lights the length of the branch without doubling back with lights...so was thinking this, say 4 or 5 RGB lights per bottom branch, cut splice the 3 wires back to the base of the next branch and connect the next 4 or 5 RGB's. If i were to do that multiple times, with the splicing o perhaps 18 inches of wire between each subset of RGB's, do you think there would be alot of power loss? Looking at using 12V nodes? Probably need in the neighborhood of 60 nodes per tree, give or take.

Also, if i were to measure, do you think that I could get Ray to custom make them, say 4 inch spacing every 4 lights, then 18 inches to the next set of 4 lights...is that beyond his scope of customization?

TY you my aussie mates! And any of you locals from the states that have input. 8)

vincerules

Full time elf
If you are worried about power loss, instead of splicing all 3 wires( data, +, ground) you can splice only the data line and give +/ground to each branch from the base side.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
If you intend on using 2811 or the like just remember to run the data lines in a series type connection (i.e. run data in on a string and out the other end) as they assign the address of each pixel in turn.
John

Skunberg

Full time elf
Rather than splice, why not place every other pixel going out the branch and fill the gaps on the way back to center. No splices needed. The only problem is sequencing.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If its smart pixels you are using then connecting in this way will most probably cause your lights to flicker and have issues when dimming due to data reflections in the line. If its dumb RGB lights then i dont see an issue with this as long as you inject power where needed.

Skunberg

Full time elf
I've never seen any dimming or flickering problems. I'm sure everyone has ran pixels in a bundle without any issues. So I really don't think it would be a problem.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Skunberg said:
I've never seen any dimming or flickering problems. I'm sure everyone has ran pixels in a bundle without any issues. So I really don't think it would be a problem.

My bad i thought he was talking about running data in a series/parrallel configuration on his tree, I should read more carefully :-[ . But if all he is doing is just running a connecting cable between the last light on the branch to the first light on the next branch then as long as the distance is not too great then it wont be an issue and if the distance was too great, then just add a single pixel in between to regenerate the signal. What needs to be considered is voltage drop and where to inject power.

Ray will make custom lights but at this time of the year you may have to wait a while as ray is flat out and would have to put it in his production schedule