Importing Channel Details

Madko

Full time elf
Hey All,

I have created a new audio file using audacity. Part of this new audio consists of audio that i previously put Raw channels to and created a sequence within HLS. As i don't want to redo all i have done previously I'm unsure how to copy/import those raw channel details and the sequence to match that part of the audio.

Does someone know how this can be done or have a link where i can learn how?

Cheers

angus40

Senior elf
Caution Caution Caution proceed at your own risk _confidence and skill level Caution Caution Caution
ALL ADVICE GIVEN HERE IS SOLELY FOR TEST PURPOSE .
Do all your modifications in your testing copy of hls only to prove your work before updating to your show copy .
each copy of Hls needs to have its Hls.exe shortcut run independently .
If you are uncertain how to do this do not proceed .

I had done something similar to what your asking with success in an earlier version of Hls .
First thing you will need to do is make a backup copy or 2 of your Hls folder and renamae them something like this .
C:\Hls = your show copy
C:\Hls1 = <<<<<backup copy
C:\Hls2 = <<<<<testing copy

The How to >>>
you will need to create a * .pcm file that has the same name as the *.pcm file in the sequence that you want to change for your successful result.
To do this
Step 1
Create a temp folder and put a copy of your new audacity file in it for easy navigation .
Be certain that the new audio file has the exact same name as the original that you will be replacing .
in your testing copy of hls create a new sequence and use your newly created audacity audiofile , this will create
the *.pcm file for you to swap with the original * .pcm in the sequence that you require it .
1) open Hls Copy #2 using its own *.exe or shortcut *.exe
2) create a sequence and load the audio file from the temp folder you created earlier.

you do not need to add any sequence data . Just create the sequence file , add the audio and then save and exit this new sequence .

Step 2 , before i continue with this lengthy thread ........ Do you follow so far ?

Madko

Full time elf
Caution Caution Caution?
Don't like the sound of that!
After reading whats install to complete this i might just redo it. I thought it may be a simple load channels within the library.

I choose the Load channel layout - new sequence under the library file. I did reload all my channels but when i went to save it i t an error saying

ERROR --- Exit program
STRING DESTRUCTOR NOT JH
200000 0

Anyway, your process to complete does sound confusing and a bit risky. Maybe not for me. Please feel free to complete the process for others. I might even revisit if i choose to.

Thanks anyway, cheers

angus40

Senior elf
Changing audio after the fact in Hls is a process , that said If you want to do any thing custom like your original request the learning curve will always be straight up.
I know Hls inside and out up to version 12 because i have messed around with it for the past year . I am currently using version 12m as all my sequences work perfectly with this version .

In order to fully understand how to manipulte HLS for custom audio you will require a good grasp of your operating system aswell as hls.

Madko

Full time elf
Hey Angus,

Your light display looks great.
I have decided it just re-do my channels and everything to my custom audio. However i seem to be having some issues. Could you please see where im going wrong?

My custom audio is a little over 10 mins long and is a wav file from audacity. It seems to load into a new sequence fine (slow but fine) but when i create channel data, save and re-open it am get this error, Read Error During HLS Loading Operation - Channel Data. When i except OK it closes down.

Ideas? Oh yeah, i have updated to the latest version

Madko

Full time elf
Angus,

From my last post i have now reverted back to an older version which has it easier to load channel data, however now when i save the sequence im getting this error

ERROR -- EXIT PROGRAM
STRING DESTRUCTOR ERROR NOT JH

My audio is just over 10 mins long. Is there a maximum song length? Any ideas about this error?

Cheers

angus40

Senior elf
I hope you made a backup copy or 2 , as my reply post suggested .
Reverting back versions is not recommended .
Also version 11h probably is not a good version to revert back to .... try 12m .

jhinkle

New elf
I suspect it is the size of your Audio File.

Each channel has a lot of data PER time tic. HLS was NOT designed for an unlimited size audio file --- I expected worst case to be around 5 minutes.

I currently have 500M or 1/2Gig allocated to work a single channel during save and open operations - I suspect THAT is the buffer you are blowing.

Are you sure you need a 10 minute audio file?

Joe

Madko

Full time elf
Thanks! I ended up starting from scratch. I re-installed the latest HLS program and loaded my 10min + audio. It loaded fine, started compiling channel data and saved it without any dramas. Started to program sequence and all is good.

I'm putting all my dramas down to operator error. Maybe i corrupted the program by reverting back to an older version, which I have now found out is a complete no no! Anyway, lesson learnt!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Cheers