Individual fuses on board are 7.5 amp but EACH pixel strip indicates more.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
I have used 12VDC sucessfully on my P12R but now I am hooking up my P12R to a 5V supply voltage to the board and now wanting to experiment with this strip.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_653641294.html

This strip indicates that current is 11.5 Amps and I am very hessitant to hook up this strip knowing that it 'could' draw more than the P12R is capable of on each output as each output has a factory fuse on it for 7.5 amps. . Please advise on how to address this issue. thanks --Greg----

neilric99

Full time elf
The 60/M strip is a lot higher current than we are used to.

The current set of controllers were not designed to handle this amount of current per output, so you have to work out how to supply to the strip by using power injection rather than powering from the pixel out port. You will find that with this strip you will also need more power supplies as they quickly consume a 350W power supply.

also note that 60/M will quickly consume Universe outputs as you can only have 170 rgb pixels per output, so you max will only be around 2.85M per output.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Greg.Ca said:
I have used 12VDC sucessfully on my P12R but now I am hooking up my P12R to a 5V supply voltage to the board and now wanting to experiment with this strip.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_653641294.html

This strip indicates that current is 11.5 Amps and I am very hessitant to hook up this strip knowing that it 'could' draw more than the P12R is capable of on each output as each output has a factory fuse on it for 7.5 amps. . Please advise on how to address this issue. thanks --Greg----

You would connect this up in the same fashion as how you would connect up a P2. See the J1sys P12R is not the right choice for these pixels because you can only ever get 510 channels max per output and a 5 metre length of thit strip = 900 channels. so it chews through the universes and channels which then you need to start considering the load that will be put on your computer depending on how many you use.

So to connect you dont run the power +v from the p12r to the strip, instead you run the +V straight from the power supply to the strip. Just make sure you also run the ground from both the power supply to the strip and from the controller to the strip as well. But you will only be able to run a little over 2.5 metres per output using the P12R due to channel limitations anyway.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
These are only 30 chips/meter not 60. One output of the P12R works just fine. I did end up hooking up the 5Vdc power directly from the power supply to both ends of the strip and only hooked up the ground and the data from the board to the strip.

The strip works just fine this way. All 150 pixels. All 150 5050 LED's. All 450 channels. Just perfect. Thanks --Greg--

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Greg.Ca said:
These are only 30 chips/meter not 60. One output of the P12R works just fine. I did end up hooking up the 5Vdc power directly from the power supply to both ends of the strip and only hooked up the ground and the data from the board to the strip.

The strip works just fine this way. All 150 pixels. All 150 5050 LED's. All 450 channels. Just perfect. Thanks --Greg--

That damn link gets me everytime where it say 60 LEDs in the descrption. But the current doesnt seem to match the wattage per metre and i think this is not correct.
Take a look at this thread for current ratings of different strip. This strip calculates to be 7.2 amps for a 5 metre strip

Typical Chinese cut and paste errors