Info on buying LOR controller Needed

cleevesinoz

newbie here
Hi,
I am thinking about using a lightorama controller and as its from the USA would i need a step down transformer or is it just a matter of changing the plug ends to Australian standards.I had some joy using s GE controller from the USA by using a step down transformer and was able to use USA plug on one end of a small lead with Australian plugs on the other.
Any help would be great before i invest in one.

cheers
Guy

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
There is a small jumper which changes the AC boards between 120 and 240v operation.

Two jumpers on pins 1-2 and 3-4 for 120v (pictured below)
One jumper on pins 2-3 for 240v

[attachimg=1]

My controllers did arrive preset at 240v but if they don't all you need to do is change the location of a pin jumper (marked on the board) - so no, you do not need a step down transformer ;-)

Although it wasn't the case when I ordered my AC controllers, you can now purchase Australian-suitable cordsets with your LOR controller if you don't feel confident working with 240v. That or you could purchase cheap extension leads and do it all yourself.

Attachments

• lor-ctb16pc-voltagejumper.jpg
    lor-ctb16pc-voltagejumper.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 273

Robbo

Full time elf
@Cleevesinoz the most expensive part of buying from the US is in shipping, so if you are handy with a screwdriver you are better off getting no cord set with your LOR boards and buying some leads from bunnings or somewhere cheap cut the male ends off and screw them onto the board yourself, you will also need 2 cords for your input power supply

richardd

Full time elf
- you will also need 2 cords for your input power supply

I'm not sure if that is entirely correct. I have a 16 channel controller and when the DIY wiring route and I only needed on cord and jumper the left and right sides. Did I do something wrong? I have another 16 Channel controller that a will be wring in the coming weeks and wonder should I be using 2 cords - I want to use this controller for my mega tree.

Robbo

Full time elf
richardd said:
- you will also need 2 cords for your input power supply

I'm not sure if that is entirely correct. I have a 16 channel controller and when the DIY wiring route and I only needed on cord and jumper the left and right sides. Did I do something wrong? I have another 16 Channel controller that a will be wring in the coming weeks and wonder should I be using 2 cords - I want to use this controller for my mega tree.

Yes you are right...only one supply but then you do not get the full amps that the board provides, but you are certainly able to run the board with one input, I just put two into mine as it was just as easy to do and causes no problems.

cleevesinoz

newbie here
Thanks for the info.
If i understand this info all I need to do is make sure the controller is switched to 220v and then cut off the American plug ends and change them to Aussies plugs.Is it that simple or am i just a bit simple lol

Robbo

Full time elf
yeah it's that simple...however dont buy the american plug ends, it's unecessary cost to pay for the cordset plus shipping only to cut them off......

you can order australian cordset but again the shipping gets pricey as the cordset adds a considerable amount of weight to the package, for what it's worth it's easier to buy some extension cords from bunnings cut the ends off strip a bit of wire and screw them onto the board

cleevesinoz

newbie here
If i was to just cut the plug ends off and put Aussie plugs on would the cables be upto taking 220v though them or just melt

Robbo

Full time elf
I'm not sure, I assume the cable would be the same used whther it has Australian Plugs or US plugs on them,

what I am trying to say is if you are going to buy the cordset you may as well order it with Australian plugs on them already as these are available from LOR when you buy the boards.

The cordset does add a LOT to the weight and therefore shipping expenses, and if you are prepared to cut off plugs and replace plugs the better option is to save yourself some money by not buying any cordsets and buy just the board, then buy your extension cords cords in Australia for as little as $2 a cord $32 a set cut off one end, strip the wires a little and screw them to the board, just as easy as cutting off a plug and replacing a plug....if not easier,

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
1M extension leads are dirt cheap from your local $2 shop and definitely cheaper than buying sockets to put on the american cables.

I would buy just the board with no cables, then grab some cheap extension cables, cut off the plug end and then connect the socket+cable to your LOR board.

Quite simple and cheap.

Phil

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Even for our commerical controllers which we often sell with a 10 or 20m lenght of power lead ( no socket its through a gland for water proofing ).. we buy 10 or 20 meter extension cables, and cut one end off.. You'd think we could buy leads with just one end, ( and we can, but they are signficiantly more expensive! )

Robbo

Full time elf
fasteddy said:
You can choose to buy the LOR controllers with the plugs for Australia. So when selecting the country at the bottom the controller page you just choose Australia for an extra cost you will get the correct plugs.

Take a look here at the bottom http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html

add $20 for Australian cordset this will set you back $225.95 plus whatever shipping costs on top of that, from US to Australia bearing in mind it is based on weight the board weighs next to nothing without the cordset

other option is to purchase just the board for $121.95
high power heatsink + $19.95
enclosure + $27.95

total: $169.85 add to that AU$36.00 for locally bought cords $205.85 roughly saving you $20 just on hardware, and whatever savings you make on shipping being lighter, which would amount to a fair bit, of course the enclosure too is optional, you can save here too and come up with another solution for housing whether it be on a wall in the garage, or another type of enclosure bought locally.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
cleevesinoz said:
i guess i will also need the USB-RS485 adapter to complete things

Without that you wont be able to connect the controllers to the computer, unless you use a DMX adaptor, but then you still need this adaptor to change start addresses for the controllers