Initial pixel display

jkells

New elf
Hey Everyone,

I've been trying to get into this for years but I always leave it too late and make big plans that are too hard to execute! By the time the next year comes around I'm at ground zero reading the manual again!

So this year I wan't to start small and just get something up and running that I can build on later. My plan was to start with a single power supply and a controller and how ever many pixels I can drive with that.

I was thinking of grabbing:

1. PixLite 16 MkII controller to give room to grow a bit next year,

2. 300W 12V supply from RayWu https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...050.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.76524a569BzC43

3. 4 of these 100 pixel nodes which should be total of 240W
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...171.html?spm=2114.12010610.0.0.10dcab572r7Bwn

Is there anything glaringly stupid about this idea?

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Hi @jkells,

Nothing silly doing that way at all. Would definitely recommend you go something like the pixlite mkII or a falcon as these seem to have the most support on the forum. Also getting something with a number of channels is a good idea as you will always be looking to expand!

If your after a big impact for your first year you can't go past a Mega Tree. They look great and you can do some awesome stuff with them.

Good luck and I hope it all comes together for you. Plenty of very intelligent and experienced people on here so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Regards,
Matt.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Nothing wrong with that.
You will need to work out what you want to do with the pixels, whether a megatree as suggested or house outline or smaller mini trees or whatever.
If you can afford a little more, you need to search through ray's website as he often has different prices for the same thing, and if you buy a little more than you need, you will always have some spares if something goes wrong or just some extras to start building extra props.
Also if you order a bit more, email Ray and ask for a discount on postage, as he will usually give a bit more off on bigger orders.
The only way to learn is by doing, so jump in, the waters fine :thumbsup:

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Nothing wrong with that.
You will need to work out what you want to do with the pixels, whether a megatree as suggested or house outline or smaller mini trees or whatever.
If you can afford a little more, you need to search through ray's website as he often has different prices for the same thing, and if you buy a little more than you need, you will always have some spares if something goes wrong or just some extras to start building extra props.
Also if you order a bit more, email Ray and ask for a discount on postage, as he will usually give a bit more off on bigger orders.
The only way to learn is by doing, so jump in, the waters fine :thumbsup:
Yep definitely talk to Ray first, my last order he saved me about $70 on shipping. Not to mention he is very quick and has great service!

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.