injecting power for modules on p12r

candlelight

New elf
i plan on building a matrix using modules on a p12r board. I also plan on injecting power every 40 or so pixels, question is when attaching the wires to the p12 board, should i just connect the clock and data wires to the board since i'll be supplying the strings of modules with their own power source?
I will supply the p12r board with a seperate power feed for the logic.

Seems like i wouldn't want to connect power to the board since i'll be using three power supplies...

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
you will also need to connect a common ground connection. all signal levels need a signal ground to work properly.

-ed

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I recently tested a similar setup. 2 5v supplies, one powering the P12R and one at the far end of the pixel string. I left the ground connected but split the +V line so the second half of the string was powered by the far end supply and it worked well.

I did have a few misfires and they disappeared when I put a slightly thicker wire between the 2 negative connections on the supplies.

candlelight

New elf
so are you thinking i need to connect all three V- on the 3 power supplies together? I thought it was a no no to connect power suplies together, or does that only apply to the V+ connection? I'm completely new to RGB so i'm still absorbing all the info I can....

need to hookup the lights to see how much they pull, but there are 4 leds per module, and i'll have 12 strings of 40 modules each (12v ws2801)...

i was thinking i'd hook up 4 strings (160 pixels) to each power supply..

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
yes. for most practical uses ALL grounds (-V) have to be common. some times people call ground/-V common for this reason. We've run a 1.5A 5V supply for P12R, 30A 5V for strings 1-6, and 30A 12V for strings 7-12. ALL have their grounds tied together on our circuit board.

-ed

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
By connecting the grounds/negatives together with the power supplies is just ensuring that all the power supplies have the same potential. This doesnt actually 'connect' the power supplies together as the + positives are not connected together. This is OK to connect this way and in fact is best practice

So when connecting between strips, connect both the negative/ground wire and data wires together. Keep the positive + wire seperate for each strip and connect the positive + from the second power supply directy to the second strip only. Then connect/inject negative/ground from the second power supply to both the first strip and second strip which is connected together.