Inside a RayWu Waterproof power supply

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Well not sure if a photo has been posted before but when I was wiring up a 12V 300W waterproof power supply from RayWu there seemed like a gap in the case where water could get in so I thought I would open it up to see.

To my surprise it turns out the entire guts is filled with something that is defiantly water sealed and hard. Even has a chassis earth wire coming out and screwed to the chassis.

I don't think we will have any issues with water ingress.

Attachments

• Power Supply.JPG
    Power Supply.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 136

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Wow! That's a lot better than the "waterproof" one I bought off him a while back which was completely open on one end, with no conformal coating or lacquer.

marmalade

cats & pixels
Potting resin, we do it for all our intrinsically safe underground mining gear. Works well if the components are thermally rated appropriately and the volume of resin has enough heat dissipation to keep them below that rating when used at full capacity. We actually have a 300W ups which is exactly like that :)

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Usually, you need to mount them fan down, otherwise I would say they are pretty Waterproof. Good to know someone actually looked inside. :cool:

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Thanks marmalade. Was thinking about some lacquer spray but potting resin might be an option! I won't be using that one outside, was just for testing in workshop to reduce dust ingress but might consider for the ones in the control box for some moisture protection.

Geoff,
Do they seem pretty good quality?

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks marmalade. Was thinking about some lacquer spray but potting resin might be an option! I won't be using that one outside, was just for testing in workshop to reduce dust ingress but might consider for the ones in the control box for some moisture protection.

Geoff,
Do they seem pretty good quality?

I have used RayWu Waterproof power supplies for two years and only one failed out of over 30.

I haven't had any issues with the 300W ones and in fact I'm changing all my PS's to 300W ones and putting a single 25A two pin plug on 12V side and 5m or 15M 240V cable in the other. That way all the PS are the same with just two different lengths of AC cable.

Then Im making up adapter cables for multiple 2 pin RayWu pigtails out to the lights. That way if a PS fails it's a simple swap with a spare and no need to recable or worries about supply size. I will post a pic tonight. Maybe an overkill but hey least if I lose a PS then it will be a 2sec replacement.

Last edited:

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
I have used RayWu Waterproof power supplies for two years and only one failed out of over 30.

I haven't had any issues with the 300W ones and in fact I'm changing all my PS's to 300W ones and putting a single 25A two pin plug on 12V side and 5m or 15M 240V cable in the other. That way all the PS are the same with just two different lengths of AC cable.

Then Im making up adapter cables for multiple 2 pin RayWu pigtails out to the lights. That way if a PS fails it's a simple swap with a spare and no need to recable or worries about supply size. I will post a pic tonight. Maybe an overkill but hey least if I lose a PS then it will be a 2sec replacement.
That's sounds like a good idea. I'd prefer to have plugs on everything too for that reason. Keen to see a photo too.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
I must say I we have bought a substantial amount of stuff from ray no problems but now I generally buy from ebay and still no problems . But interestingly I recall a post on falcon xmas lights site few months ago someone visited his factory and posted lots of pics and info was quite interesting ! Shown in this particular post was waterproof testing he has what looks too be approximately 6ft long aquariums filled with water? Lights immersed and running ,! Myself personally not sure if I could trust my own work as am only weather proofing for rain as such . But yes was very impressed !

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
See attached pics on how I am doing my power supplies.

All supplies will have the 2 pin 25A female plug see here the ebay item. They appear to be of high quality, but this is the first time using them. They fit perfectly over the DC side of the 300W Power Supply and I just solder the 2 Red together and 2 Blacks together then solder to the plug.

The male 2 pin plug then has any number of raywu pigtail, although 6 fit perfectly with the 18AWG RGB cable from Ray, I just cut the green short as its not needed.

Image 2 and 3 - I have 6 of these made up for my new mega tree so a total of 6 PS for 36 strings, spread around a 180 tree. Then each string is made the same with 2 x 2 pin Raywu pigtails one for the Power and Ground the other for Data and ground.
image3.JPG image2.JPG

Image 1 - Shows a cable from the 25A 2 pin plug to a 6m length of 4.1mm/wire to 3 pigtails, this is run from the bottom of the tree to the megatree star at the top that will have 300 pixel nodes.
image1.JPG

diyer

Full time elf
We use literally 100's of 12v IP68 rated Chinese made LED power supplies every year at work, they are very reliable. If a failure occurs, it is usually because they have been loaded incorrectly.