Instructions on how to use video with FPP and Pi

Jimbo

Full time elf
HI,

I have just got my raspberry pi B+ up and running.

Can I run the video from this unit through the HDMI to my projector and still have the lighting sequence come out through E.31?

Is there instructions somewhere on how to use and set up video through the FPP on the PI? I have gone over the Falcon site but seem not to be able to find anything.

Thanks

JonB256

Full time elf
Sean Meighan, one of the main Nutcracker guys (there are several now), run multiple Raspberry Pis (how do you make Pi plural?) last year using their Master/Slave setup. He used the Slaves to play video, though I believe he just did Composite out rather than HDMI. The HDMI should work, though.

Jimbo

Full time elf
Is there instructions or video tutorials?

I have been searching the site but haven't found anything.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I used a MP4 file for the audio in xlights instead of MP3. 24k channels of lights ands hdmi video. Just schedule the fseq and the MP4 in the fop. Lights, movie synced perfectly. I also had two slaves each with a projector. Worked great. Only caveat, sound for show comes from master. The sound on slaves might. Sometimes speed up or slow down as it is kept synced to the master.

Jimbo

Full time elf
cool

sounds like I can do what I want. Just after the instructions on how it works.

Ie I will use an mp3 to synch lights to, and will have the mp4 ready later this year once the video animation has been completed by my sister for the show. This needs to be in synch with the lights. Was going to output audio directly through 3.5mm output to transmitter and use hdmi for the video.

I have the pi setup and hdmi connected, but it only shows a script. its not clear how you add video, ie is this done in the fseq file? when logged into the FPP where do you go to set it all up?

I have been searching the falcon site but haven't found an area with instructions on how to setup.

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

Sean has posted a video at the link below, where he has described the process. Watch the first 45 minutes at least

I just got a PI last week and have a seq running on it , but have yet to move onto the video component, but will at some stage

https://vimeo.com/99301737

Also superman had video running on a PI last year as well

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
I know this an older thread, but wanted to post that the process is pretty straightforward and is covered in the official FPP manual:

https://falcon-player.gitbooks.io/f...r_nine_miscellaneous_items/playing_video.html

Basically, you just need to do the following:

1. Set the filename to be the same for the sequence, audio and video file

MySong.fseq
MySong.mp3
MySong.mp4

2. Load the sequence, audio and video files onto the Pi

3. Set the "Blank screen on startup" settings on the Pi. This will hide the console output and only show video output.

4. Set the "Force HDMI Display" or "Force analog audio output during video playback", depending on which video output you want to use on the Pi

5. Schedule or run the sequence. The audio and video output should start automatically as the sequence is run.

Roosta

Full time elf
I know this an older thread, but wanted to post that the process is pretty straightforward and is covered in the official FPP manual:

https://falcon-player.gitbooks.io/f...r_nine_miscellaneous_items/playing_video.html

Basically, you just need to do the following:

1. Set the filename to be the same for the sequence, audio and video file

MySong.fseq
MySong.mp3
MySong.mp4

2. Load the sequence, audio and video files onto the Pi

3. Set the "Blank screen on startup" settings on the Pi. This will hide the console output and only show video output.

4. Set the "Force HDMI Display" or "Force analog audio output during video playback", depending on which video output you want to use on the Pi

5. Schedule or run the sequence. The audio and video output should start automatically as the sequence is run.

You can also just use the MP4 file in xlights as your audio file..