IP address help

Erin236

New elf
Hi,
I'm sorry to need help with such a basic thing but I'm running behind and just needing to get my tree to work.
I have a sandevices e6804 controller.
I have it connected to my computer via Ethernet. I have had to use the override code to get an IP address of 169.254.74.73, I can set it to another IP address within the 169.254.x.y range but I can not change it to a 192.168.x.y address range.
Is this important? If so how can I do this? I have tried the other override codes and even setting the IP address in my control panel for the Ethernet connection to be the same with no luck with accessing the web page.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Erin

AJ240

Up and running for 2019. Kick off Sun 1st 8pm
Have you tried to use the 6 override code to Force a temporary IP address of 192.168.1.206…..?
You will not be able to navigate to the web page until both devices are on the same network address range. i.e. both devices on 192.168.1.*.
What is the IP address of the PC you are using ?

Erin236

New elf
Have you tried to use the 6 override code to Force a temporary IP address of 192.168.1.206…..?
You will not be able to navigate to the web page until both devices are on the same network address range. i.e. both devices on 192.168.1.*.
What is the IP address of the PC you are using ?

Hi, yes tried override 6 but didn't work.

Attachments

• snip IP.PNG
    snip IP.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 5

AJ240

OK a few basic network troubleshooting tips. Can you open a command prompt and " Ping 192.168.1.206 ". If you do not get a response then the override either did not work or the device is not connected. If you do get a response then try to ping your default gateway which is probably 192.168.1.1. Let me know what you find.

Attachments

• ping Window.png
    ping Window.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 6

Erin236

New elf
OK a few basic network troubleshooting tips. Can you open a command prompt and " Ping 192.168.1.206 ". If you do not get a response then the override either did not work or the device is not connected. If you do get a response then try to ping your default gateway which is probably 192.168.1.1. Let me know what you find.

Ok, tried override 6 again and ran the command ping 192.168.1.206, got 'Destination host unreachable'

Attachments

• snip IP (2).PNG
    snip IP (2).PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 1

Kitman

Full time elf
When you set the IP to 169.254.74.73 were you then able to connect to the controller? If so then your computer must be set to that same range which would explain why you are unable to connect to it when it is set to 192.168.1.206.

All of my sandevice controllers are set to the 192.168.1.x range perfectly fine. from memory, the controllers are set to a 192.168.1.x range by default so resetting back to factory should get you to that range however you will lose all the settings on the sandevice.

AJ240

Sounds like the E6804 is not setting the address correctly. What firmware version is on it ? I have read that some of the commands changed with a firmware release. I do not have one of these devices, I just have a good understanding of networks in general.
Until you get both your PC and your controller on the same network range then you will not be able to access its web page and set the address that you actually want.
There is a set of diagnostic LEDs on the controller that can "read out" with flashes, the IP address.
I found this document as a troubleshooting guide that may help you.
http://sandevices.com/wp-content/up...ms-using-the-E682-E6804-Pixel-Controllers.pdf

Erin236

New elf
When you set the IP to 169.254.74.73 were you then able to connect to the controller? If so then your computer must be set to that same range which would explain why you are unable to connect to it when it is set to 192.168.1.206.

All of my sandevice controllers are set to the 192.168.1.x range perfectly fine. from memory, the controllers are set to a 192.168.1.x range by default so resetting back to factory should get you to that range however you will lose all the settings on the sandevice.

Yes, I can connect to the controllers web page on 169.254.74.73 and also change it to another IP address with 169.254.x.y but can not get it to work with and 192.168.x.y range. On checking the IP address in command prompt it seems it should be a 192.168.1.y range, that's why I'm confused.

Attachments

• snip IP.PNG
    snip IP.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 3

AJ240

So you need to set the address to 192.168.1.xxx. As your PC address is 192.168.1.11. That will ensure both are on the same network range.
Pick a new address i.e. 192.168.1.123. Ping it first to make sure it does NOT respond. i.e. Something else on the network does NOT have the address you want.
Then set the units IP address and ping it again to make sure it has been set. Then you should be able to access your web page again.

Kitman

Full time elf
the IP address in command prompt is that for your ethernet adaptor or your wireless adaptor? On my laptop I have my wireless set to a different range than my wired adaptor, this way I can plug the controller into the ethernet on my laptop and it works fine. I can't see you being able to connect to the sandevice controller when it's IP is 169.254.74.73 if your computer ethernet adaptor is 192.168.1.11. Typically the 169 address range is the default windows IP range when not connected to a DHCP controller like a modem or router.

Erin236

New elf
the IP address in command prompt is that for your ethernet adaptor or your wireless adaptor? On my laptop I have my wireless set to a different range than my wired adaptor, this way I can plug the controller into the ethernet on my laptop and it works fine. I can't see you being able to connect to the sandevice controller when it's IP is 169.254.74.73 if your computer ethernet adaptor is 192.168.1.11. Typically the 169 address range is the default windows IP range when not connected to a DHCP controller like a modem or router.

It is for the wireless. I ran the control centre again and the ethernet is 169.254.131.2 (see attached). So do you think I can run with the 2 different addresses?

Attachments

• Snip IP (3).PNG
    Snip IP (3).PNG
    28 KB · Views: 5

Kitman

Full time elf
It is for the wireless. I ran the control centre again and the ethernet is 169.254.131.2 (see attached). So do you think I can run with the 2 different addresses?
if you save the IP with a 192.168.1.xxx address and then plug it into your router or switch you will then be able to access it on your network.
The reason it works when plugged into your PC is because your ethernet is the same IP range as the sandevice so it sees it, then when you change the IP to match your network you can't see it because the range doesn't match, at that point if you plug it into your switch or router or whatever you have it will be on the same range and will be visible again.

Alternatively, when you set the IP for your sandevice you change your ethernet IP so it is also a 192.168.1.xxx and you will be able to continue working.

Erin236

New elf
I've just tested and my sequence plays on the 169.254.x.y address I set and running it with a long ethernet cable from my laptop. Thank you for all your help and advice AJ240 and Kitman :)

Kitman

Full time elf
How were you intending on running it? from the laptop or from a Raspberry Pi?

If you were going to run it from the laptop via ethernet then problem solved however if you want to run it from a pi then we can further investigate.

Happy to help and glad we got it sorted.

Erin236

New elf
How were you intending on running it? from the laptop or from a Raspberry Pi?

If you were going to run it from the laptop via ethernet then problem solved however if you want to run it from a pi then we can further investigate.

Happy to help and glad we got it sorted.

Just running from laptop this year so it's working fine. It's my first year, started late and just got the mega tree working. Planning on increasing for next year and running from pi then. Thanks again :)