Is it necessary to hook up the positive red wire to the top board?

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
I only hook up two wires from my pixels to my P12S's when wiring my 5Volt WS2812b's. The ground wire and the data wire. The third wire (positive 5Volts) goes through a fuse block and then directly to the positive of my power supplies completely bypassing the P12S's. Therefore there is NO pixel current flowing through the top board of my P12S's. Remember, I only hook up two wires. Data and ground on the top board of the P12S's. There is positive 5Volts hooked up to the lower logic board. I do attach a negative 5volts to both upper and lower boards.

Since there is no circuitry on the top board of the P12's, is it actually necessary to wire up the positive 5Volts to the top board? My first inclination is to say no. Any experts that thinks it is necessary? --Greg--

scamper

Dedicated elf
There is no need to.
You are correct in just supplying 12v to power the board and the data is just data being sent to the pixels.
as long as you have an earth from the 5v also connected to the earth on the pixels so the 5v has a return path all should be good.