3.x Issue with sequence playing the same effects for 2 elements

abundy

Full time elf
Apologies for not being sure how to word the issue.

Here is my setup....

Vixen 3.1u2
Pixelite 16 controller running 1.4.6
Advatek assistant 2.2.1
one universe per controller output - numbered 10-25
Each universe set up to start at channel 1 for 510 channels

To my sequence from last year, [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I added an element called "sign" using "generic numbered group" with 160 x 2811 pixels, and set the [/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]colour[/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] handling for RGB and patched 480 channels.[/font]
I then did some sequencing for this element.
Every thing worked up to this point.
I then added another element called "OL star" using "generic numbered group" with 80 - ink003 pixels and set the colour handling for RGB and patched 240 channels.

I added a couple of chase effects to test the strip, and found that the sequence i did for the Sign, was also played on the "star" output, no matter if i have an effect setup for the "star" or not.

I have deleted the star may times, called it something else, stopped/restarted vixen and the p/c numerous times over.
Under setup display, I have tried to set the universe for unicast and multicast. I have patched the outputs many times over.
I did try to configure the controller i had set in the "setup display" screen for the following (my elements are using output 9 and 10 on the pixelite) -
output 1 - act - universe 10 - start 1 - size 510
output 2 - act - universe 11 - start 511 - size 510
output 3 - act - universe 12 - start 1021 - size 510
~~
output 9 - act - universe 18 - start 4081 - size 510
output 10 - act - universe 19 - start 4591 - size 510

I patched the outputs to use these specific patch point, but got no output to the lights.

Each element has something setup on the preview screen.
The "sign" is on output 9 (universe 18) and the "star" is on output 10 (universe 19) of the pixelite.

I have watched a bunch of youtube and vimeo' on every subject to do with vixen, scoured forums on the vixen site (DIYxmas) and on ACL, but haven't been able to find anything about this.

If anyone has any ideas please advise as what is left of my hair is being extracted.

adski

Dave Brown
Everything seems OK, but obviously we're missing something. Can you post some screen shots of the various configuration forms?

Also, download DA_E131 http://www.da-share.com/software/da_e131/ and use it to check whether the sign and the star are connected to the correct universes. If not, the problem lies in the Pixlite configuration.

Dave

damo1271

Full time elf
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a configuration thing with vixen. I set up a P12 (12 universes) and used the start channel for each universe as the end of the previous universe. When I changed the start channels for each universe to channel 1 it worked.
eg UNiverse 60

damo1271

Full time elf
oops accidentally posted before I finished typing.
Universe, start, size
60 1 510
61 1 510
and so on.
This worked properly.

adski

Dave Brown
Universe, start, size
60 1 510
61 1 510
and so on.
This worked properly.
Just to clarify - that looks like the configuration data for the P12 - not the Vixen 3 controller configuration.

Dave

damo1271

Full time elf
This is a sample of two of the universes in vixen for my P12. I set each P12 channel as its own 'controller'. This config works fine on my 9 universe matrix (1440 pixels).
I am sure that when I used the start for universe xx as 511 is when I had the problems.

Attachments

• vixen config.jpg
    vixen config.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 12

adski

Dave Brown
Ah, that's why it works in your setup - you have separate Vixen controllers for each universe - unusual, but quite legal. We'll need to see abundy's screen shots before we can tell what's happening with his setup.

If you use a single Vixen controller, then if the first line starts at 1 and has a size of 510, then the second line must start at 511. Otherwise you WILL get effects duplicated on different universes.

The new release will help by auto-filling the start channels based on the preceding finish channel.

i13

Dedicated elf
I have only just started using Vixen 3 but I've found that if you copy and paste channels within your display setup, Vixen 3 seems to treat them as the same channels.

Did you copy and paste existing channels to create the ones you needed for your new element? This will not work.

abundy

Full time elf
Hi guys, I was interstate for the last couple of days. Will post the screen shots later on today.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hi abundy,

I would consider seriously upgrading to 3.2 now that it is out, having used the dev builds now for a while this is a valid and worthwhile upgrade.

Do take a full backup of your 3.1u2 install before doing so just in case you wish to roll backwards.

cheers
Phil

abundy

Full time elf
hi again guys.
i have done the following but still have the same issue.
i upgraded to Vixen 3.2 and tested with the same setup.....same result
I deleted the pixelite 16 controller and set up a new one (the new setup screen fr this is great)
I used the new feature to renumber the channel numbers automatically and set the outputs to the appropriate channels for universe 18 and 19 (port 9 and 10 on the pixelite 16)...same result
Also used the manual method and set each starting channel to 1 (it gives a warning but allows you to proceed.).....same result
i again removed the element "star" as well as the element on the preview....same result.

When i play the sequence, i get the lights for both elements lit, regardless of what effect i put into the "star" element.

Attachments

• Vixen-issue.docx
    495.6 KB · Views: 8

adski

Dave Brown
Your error appears to be in the Advatek setup - you have Output 9 and Output 10 both using Universe 18.

Dave

abundy

Full time elf
Hi Dave.
Thanks for pointing this out to me.
I did actually notice that and thought that i had corrected it.
I went back to the Pixelite setup screen, checked again, but still universe 18.
I did a reset to factory on the controller, and set it up again, now it all works.

On another note, i really like the changes made in V3.2, they all so far have made things easier.
I especially like the universe/channel numbering on the setup display screen. this makes it so much easier to patch to the correct outputs.

Thanks Dave for your help.