Issues hooking up ECG-p12r

ron d

Apprentice elf
I have read the unofficial manual and posts but still a little unclear. Looking to contol 2801 nodes and just do not want to harm the unit or myself.

I tried using option 1 on page 9 of 33 in the unofficial manual and just get the first node to come on dim blue. I an using a 5v power supply and on K1 jumping between +v and +5.

I do not see any other info I feel good about trying.

Any suggestions woulf be a great help!

ron d

Apprentice elf
i had already read that pretty close. seems i need to be an electrician to get this working. I guess because there are so many applications there isnt a simple manual to go from. maybe ill mess with the pix8 later and see if thats any easier.

Thanks-still confused.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im sure the issue shouldnt be too hard to work out. With anything we do the first time there is always unknowns to us which can make us feel frustrated.

Things to check.

1: Make sure the 1st pixel is not damaged, try using another string or use that string on a controller you know you have working.
2: Make sure you are connecting the string on the input and not the output
3: For simple testing, try using the hardware output test patterns on the controller before trying to control with E1.31. Check where the issue is, with the e1.31 connection or with the string connection.

So the first step is to determine where the issue lies, with the comms to the controller or the connection to the strings.

ron d

Apprentice elf
Well I gave up and went to the pix 8 controller. have everything hooked up as far as i can figure correctly and tried 4 different types of strings. The last one comes on white. Im using nodes with 3 50/50 leds in each and are 2801 nodes. when in test mode d0 flashes and d1 is contsant on as is power indicator. other two are off. I am sure its me here and not injecting power to strand just have the 4 wires connected to output terminals and tried both sides of the board. distance to first node is 4 inches. distance to calling it a day, 4 minutes.

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
Ron -

not sure of where your problems lie. The PIXAD8 uses the simple jumpers to configure the power input. The P12R uses K1 3.5mm plug to arrange for what we call Flexi-Power. With some jumper wires and different configurations you can use 5VDC or 7VDC and up from either a separate power supply or taken from the P14 DC input of the power/signal distribution board.

-Ed

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ron,

More times than not there is an issue with the strings you are connecting, either connecting the wrong wires or connecting the wrong end.

The other thing to be aware is if you have accidently put 12vdc onto the data line then you most probably have damaged the first pixel as the data/clock is 5v or 3.3V.

Another thing to make sure you have configured the output for the correct pixel you are using and that you save and reboot the controller to save the configuration. then you should be able to use the controller output test.

ron d

Apprentice elf
I packed it in hours ago for the day. I have both 5v and 12v lights(1 of most everything in the 101 manual) and maybe rebooting the controller may help but i tried different strands. It was suggested to check reverse clock/data wires but more or less I spent about the same amount of time as 2 rounds of golf with about the same results. I golf to vent and usually relax when playing with lights. anyway i need to get out asap and hit some balls!

Thanks and hopefully better results for me next time. I would assume ill be using the new controllers anyway when they are available I just wanted to get these working in the mean time.