Issues with large model on Alphapix

LightMyPath

New elf
I added a 222 node snowflake and 90 node star to my existing 8x100 zigzag mega tree on an alphapix 16 controller. Everything lights up through the controller testing but through xlights testing the last 22 nodes on the snowflake don't light up. The tree and star light up. I changed the xlights controller settings to autosize and autolayout and everything looks ok on the visualizer. I am not sure what I am missing. Screenshots of controller setup, xlights controller setup, visualizer, snowflake model settings. It has a 12th universe that I think might be part of the problem.

alphapix setup.jpgvisualizer.jpgxlights controller settings.jpgsnowflake setting.jpg

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Are you manually configuring your controller or are you uploading to it? On the controller page I normally save and upload and it does everythign for me.

I'm not familiar with that controller but you only have 300 channels per universe which will only light up 100 pixels.

I'm only into my second year and never had to deal with universe and channels directly but normally the number of channels is set to 510 per universe. You want 510 because you can divide it by 3 to get an even count. The true max is 512 but that can get confusing.

Options for manual configuration:
Make it 510 channels per universe
Make port 11 start on universe 12 so you can give 2 universes to the port with 122 pixels.

LightMyPath

New elf
With the autosize and autolayout xlights does not let me change universe size. Also, when I click upload output it does not look like anything changes on the actual controller setup webpage.

EDIT: i was initially manually updating the controller. I have switched to the autosize and autolayout and it does look like it makes changes to the controller setup webpage.

Last edited:

merryoncherry

Senior elf
That "channels per universe" is grayed out, but who knows. First try effect sequence and make sure it is actually not right.

Then, to diagnose, maybe try unchecking auto size so you can change channels per universe back to 510, and then manage again. It could be some glitch in the config in xLights, wouldn't be the first.

LightMyPath

New elf
so I unchecked and tinkered with it then switched it back to auto and now it looks like everything is good to go. Now time to hang everything up! Thanks again!

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
So, what did you tinker with to fix the issue? Others might want to know. :)

LightMyPath

New elf
good point.

I unchecked the autosize and changed universe sizes. I also tried to change universes and DMX starting channels on the alphapix controller webpage. Then I went back into xlights and rechecked the autosize and uploaded output. When I refreshed the webpage for the alphapix controller all of the output settings had changed and everything was working correctly in xlights model testing.

LightMyPath

New elf
I think my main issue that I missed with my initial post is I never clicked upload output when I switched to autosize.