just getting my head around the setup, and need some help

adski

Dave Brown
You're right about the DMX, Eddy - it's a pseudo-DMX - but still quite usable from a DMX dongle - you just have to know that Renard DMX firmware strips the already-used channels from the data stream, so if several boards are connected together in a string, all boards are physically set to start at address 1. Logically though, as far as your software is concerned, the DMX channels progress in sequence from board to board.

It can get complicated if you mix Renards with other boards but it's still do-able. Also, you can customise the firmware to start at addresses other than 1 if necessary.

On the other hand, within limits, you can use the native Renard firmware and avoid the need for a DMX dongle altogether. From memory, I think you get less channels though.

And yes, I should have made the point that it's only economical if you buy the kits from places like DIY LED Express - with the volumes they order, the Mouser/Digikey fixed freight fees are negligible. But international freight to Australia is expensive (same from Ray Wu). With my last order, I made sure that I made efficient use of a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box at around $45 (split between 5 controller kits and an FM transmitter). Single kits fit in a Small Flat Rate Box at about $18 I think - it pays to verify that in advance though.

Dave

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
adski said:
And yes, I should have made the point that it's only economical if you buy the kits from places like DIY LED Express - with the volumes they order, the Mouser/Digikey fixed freight fees are negligible. But international freight to Australia is expensive (same from Ray Wu). With my last order, I made sure that I made efficient use of a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box at around $45 (split between 5 controller kits and an FM transmitter). Single kits fit in a Small Flat Rate Box at about $18 I think - it pays to verify that in advance though.

Dave

You are 100% correct on making good use on any orders by trying to combine the shipping, because as you said shipping is expensive. So regardless if its from China or the US, try to buy a few items so the overall cost per item is cheaper due to the shared shipping.

Thanks David and everyone.

Can I ask this, where do I start? Software? Type of LEDs? Dmx or e1.31?

I would like to do a display like the "...I'm sexy and I know it.." display I think I could do it with dumb strips a floods.

My current stock is 10-15 Kmart and big w LEDs, 2-3 computers and 1 house.

I'm not able to buy it all at once due to having a wife, but really need to start setting it out and planning.

Thanks

Nick