Just using data from the end of a prop.

Snowy

Phil
Question i have 6 mini trees 100 count 20 per strip with a 20 count star on each . Can i use just the Data Wire from the end of the string of each at the end of the Star or do i still need to use the power and negative as well. i am power injecting at the end of each string.

JohnsRdChristmas

Full time elf
I beleive so Yes,

The pixels all need a ground reference, so all power supplies need to be tied together,

I may be wrong though, maybe someone else can confirm?

TerryK

Retired Elf
When the data line at the end of a string routes to the beginning of another string, the Common or Negative line should route along with the Data line. This maintains the Data line reference to the Common for the first pixel in the next string. Distance between props or to power supplies (one or multiple) may require wire connections to be adjusted somewhat to avoid inadvertent ground or current loops. But generally, where the Data line goes, so goes the Common.

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
Pixels Data on a string feed from the end of another one needs (common or positive) reference from the line where the first pixel is in,
I usually run all three wires to minimize current related issues.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I always use all 3 wires to connect props, regardless of where I power inject. I make my props interchangeable so if I decide to move things one year or I need to quickly swap something out that is broken, I know that the connections will always work.
The only time you don't want to connect/join the positive wire is if you are using a different PSU for power injection, as you NEVER join the POS from 2 different PSUs (unless they are specifically designed for this practice)
For example, if you have 10 mini trees and trees 1-5 are powered from PSU A and trees 6-10 are powered from PSU B, you would not join the POS wire between trees 5 and 6, but you still need to join both the data and neg/common.